Software Engineer Salaries at Intel: What You Need to Know
Uncover the salary range of software engineers at Intel, including various benefits like healthcare insurance, and educational perks etc. Compare it with NVIDIA
8 min read
3 Jun, 2023
Intel, a globally recognized technology company, drives cutting-edge innovations and advancements.
With a remarkable workforce of over 132,000 dedicated employees worldwide, Intel has firmly established its position as a key player in shaping the future of technology.
As software engineering continues to be a critical component of Intel's success, this raises an intriguing question: What compensation does Intel offer its software engineers?
So, let's explore the salary ranges offered to Intel's software engineers at different career levels and gain valuable insights into their company's culture, benefits, and perks provided to them.
Salaries by Level for Software Engineers at Intel
According to data from levels.fyi, Intel offers competitive salaries for software engineers, with levels ranging from Grade 5 to Grade 8 (Staff Engineer). Here is a breakdown of the salaries for each level:
|Level||Level name||Total||Base||Stock (/yr)||Bonus|
|Grade 5||(Entry Level)||$134K||$113K||$12K||$9K|
|Grade 6||Software Engineer||$158K||$129K||$22K||$7K|
|Grade 7||Senior Software Engineer||$189K||$158K||$24K||$7K|
|Grade 8||Staff Engineer||$226K||$170K||$37K||$19K|
|Grade 9||Senior Staff Engineer||$306K||$212K||$65K||$29K|
|Grade 10||Principal Engineer||$410K||$238K||$104K||$68K|
|Grade 11||Senior Principal Engineer||$543K||$278K||$144K||$121K|
Grade 5 (Entry Level)
Intel's entry-level software engineer position is compensated with a total package of $134K annually. The base salary for this level is $113K, with an additional $12K in stock and a $9K bonus.
Grade 6 (Software Engineer)
A software engineer at Intel can expect to earn a total compensation of $158K per year, which includes a base salary of $129K, $22K in stock, and a $7K bonus.
Grade 7 (Senior Software Engineer)
Senior software engineers at Intel earn a total compensation package of $189K per year, with a base salary of $158K, $24K in stock, and a $7K bonus.
Grade 8 (Staff Engineer)
Staff engineers at Intel earn salaries with a total compensation package of $226K per year. This includes a base salary of $170K, $37K in stock, and a $19K bonus.
Grade 9 (Senior Staff Engineer)
A senior staff engineer at Intel can expect to earn a total compensation of $306K per year, which includes a base salary of $212K, $65K in stock, and a $29K bonus.
Grade 10 (Principal Engineer)
Principal engineers at Intel earn a total compensation package of $410K per year, with a base salary of $238K, $104K in stock, and a $68K bonus.
Would you like a 4 day work week?
Grade 11 (Senior Principal Engineer)
Staff engineers at Intel earn the highest salaries, with a total compensation package of $543K per year. This includes a base salary of $278K, $144K in stock and a $121K bonus.
Career Progression at Intel
At Intel, your career progression is marked by a clear and well-defined level system. Intel has seven levels of the technical ladder, from entry-level to senior principal engineer. Here is a summary of what you can expect in terms of salary increase and new responsibilities with each promotion:
- Grade 5 (Entry Level): This is the entry-level position at Intel. As an entry-level software engineer, you will be expected to work on basic projects under the guidance of senior engineers. The average base salary for an entry-level software engineer is $113K per year at Intel.
- Grade 6: Moving up to the next level, you can expect an average base salary of $129K annually. You will have more responsibilities at this level, such as leading projects and mentoring junior engineers.
- Grade 7: The next level is grade 7, where the average base salary is $158K per year. At this level, you will have more opportunities to take on leadership roles and be responsible for larger projects.
- Grade 8 (Staff Engineer): This level has an average base salary of $170K annually. You will drive innovation and contribute to long-term technical strategy at this level.
- Grade 9 (Senior Staff Engineer): Next comes Grade 9, which has an average base salary of $212K annually. As a Senior Staff Engineer, you will provide technical leadership, lead complex projects, and solve technical challenges within your expertise.
- Grade 10 (Principal Engineer): Moving on to the next high-level position, Grade 10, which has an average base salary of $238K annually. At this stage, you are responsible for leading technical strategies, guiding complex projects, and making critical product development and innovation decisions. You are the person to whom all technical staff members report.
- Grade 11 (Senior Principal Engineer): Next comes the highest level, Grade 11, with an average base salary of $278K annually. As a Senior Principal Engineer at Intel, you play a critical role in shaping the company's technical roadmap and leading cross-functional teams in complex engineering projects.
Salary Differences by Location
Salaries for software engineers at Intel vary by location. Based on the data provided by Interview Kickstart; here are a few examples:
- California: The average base salary for a Software Engineer at Intel in California is $152,407.
- Florida: Software Engineer at Intel in Florida earns an average base salary of $106,112.
- Arizona: The average base salary for a Software Engineer at Intel in Arizona is $107,895.
- Chandler: In Chandler, a Software Engineer working at Intel typically earns an average base salary of $114,648.
- Colorado: The base salary for a Software Engineer employed by Intel in Colorado is $90,590 on average.
It's worth noting that the variations in salaries by location are considered when determining the salary for each role. As such, you can expect to be paid fairly for your location and experience level.
Top Benefits Offered by Intel
Intel offers a wide range of benefits to its employees. Based on the data provided by Levels.fyi, here are the most important benefits that Intel provides:
- Health Insurance: Intel offers comprehensive health insurance coverage with an estimated medical value of $19k annually.
- 401k Matching: Intel matches 100% of the first 5% of an employee's base salary.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP): Intel employees can contribute up to 10% of their base salary to purchase company stock at a 15% discount.
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Intel offers FSA accounts to help employees cover eligible health care expenses, dependent care expenses, and commuting expenses.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Intel provides tutoring, college coaching, and scholarship opportunities for employees' children.
- Paid Time Off: Intel provides employees with 20 days of paid vacation and personal days.
- Maternity and Paternity Leave: Intel offers its employees 12 weeks of paid maternity and paternity leave.
- Disability Insurance: Intel gives short- and long-term disability insurance to its employees.
- Life Insurance: Intel provides free life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance equal to two times an employee's salary.
- Additional Leaves: Intel supports multiple leave types, including family, medical, and military.
- Business Travel Insurance: Intel provides its employees with $800k in life insurance for business travel.
- Donation Match: Intel matches 100% of employee donations up to $10,000.
- Immigration Assistance: Intel pays 100% of immigration assistance fees for its employees.
- On-Site Amenities: Intel offers its employees a range of on-site amenities, including free breakfast, lunch, and dinner, a gym, on-site laundry, a mother's room, and more.
Intel's Working Culture
Regarding work-life balance, Intel has been rated positively by its employees.
According to the data provided by Comparably, Intel has been rated a B in work-life balance, with employees being generally satisfied with the flexibility provided to manage their personal and professional lives. Intel's employees rated the company highly on overall happiness and culture scores, with an A+ and A+, respectively.
However, the data reveals that some departments within the company are rated higher than others regarding work-life balance. For instance, the sales department has been rated the highest with an A, while the design department has been rated the lowest with a D.
It's worth noting that employee satisfaction with work-life balance can vary depending on the job title, location, and the department they work in.
While the overall rating for work-life balance at Intel is positive, it's important to dig deeper and consider departmental ratings when evaluating the company's culture.
Intel vs. NVIDIA Software Engineer Salaries Comparison
Regarding salaries, Intel offers very competitive compensation packages to its employees. According to the salary data above, an entry-level software engineer at Intel (Grade 5) can earn up to $134K per year, whereas a Staff Engineer (Grade 8) can earn up to $229K annually.
In contrast, according to Levels.fyi an entry-level Software Engineer (IC1) earns a median pay of $166K per year, and a Senior Software Engineer (IC3) earns a median pay of $244K per year at NVIDIA.
Here is a comparison table of the two companies' software engineer salaries:
Notably, Intel offers a higher salary range for mid-level software engineers, whereas NVIDIA offers a slightly higher salary for senior-level software engineers.
However, it is important to remember that these are just median salaries, and actual salaries could differ based on various factors, such as skills, education, location, and experience.
Q. How much do software engineers make at Intel?
Intel offers competitive salaries to its software engineers. According to the salary data, an entry-level software engineer at Intel (Grade 5) can expect a total compensation of $134K with a base salary of $113K, stock of $12K per year, and a bonus of $9K.
Q. What is the average salary at Intel?
The average salary for a software engineer at Intel varies based on experience level, job title, and location. According to the provided salary data, the highest-level software engineer at Intel can expect to make $229K in total compensation.
Q. What is the highest salary for a software engineer at Intel?
Intel's highest-level software engineer (Grade 11) can expect $543K in total compensation. This includes a base salary of $278K, stock of $144K per year, and a bonus of $121K.
Q. What are the most common skills required as a software engineer at Intel?
Intel looks for software engineers with strong skills in programming languages, such as C++, Java, and Python. Other important skills for this role include experience with software development methodologies, problem-solving abilities, and strong communication skills.
Q. How much does an entry-level software engineer make at Intel?
An entry-level software engineer at Intel (Grade 5) can expect a total compensation of $134K with a base salary of $113K, stock of $12K per year, and a bonus of $9K.
Intel offers impressive compensation packages and benefits to its software engineers, including health insurance, tuition reimbursement, sabbatical leave, etc.
If you want to pursue a software engineering career at Intel or compare your compensation with other companies, 4 Day Week is here to assist you.
Just make sure to explore our current job openings to find a suitable position for yourself, or visit our extensive blog section to get an idea about the compensation packages offered by various companies.