Democracy in the open. We're building secure, affordable, open-source voting machines to restore trust in democracy.
Who we are
VotingWorks is a nonpartisan nonprofit making elections more trustworthy with modern technology.
VotingWorks is the only open-source voting system used in United States elections. Voters choose to mark ballots by hand or touchscreen, and cast voter-verifiable paper ballots.
We believe that democracy is too important for secretive machinery and that public trust demands complete transparency. We are committed to open-source code and open documentation.
Our entire development process is transparent: you can follow every new feature as it is developed, every bug fix as it’s applied, and view the tests we use to verify all of our code works as expected.
We’re the only voting system that provides such complete transparency.
Our mission is to strengthen democracy by making elections more trustworthy.
We use modern technology and work closely with election officials to make elections transparent, simple, and secure.
We believe that trust is earned only by being publicly accountable for everything we do. That's why we're the only non-profit voting system vendor in the United States, why all of our source code is publicly available for review the moment we write it, and why we actively work in the open with leading academics in the fields of voting security and usability.
- Voting System: VotingWorks is the only open-source voting system used in United States elections. Voters choose to mark ballots by hand or touchscreen, and cast voter-verifiable paper ballots.
- Election Audits: Arlo is a secure tool for conducting Risk-Limiting Audits (RLAs) used by 10 states. It was developed by VotingWorks with support from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Working at VotingWorks
VotingWorks is a fully distributed organization. Team members work from wherever they choose in the United States and attend meetings over video or audio conference. Work when you prefer, as long as you can be available 4 hours per weekday during Pacific timezone business hours for team coordination. We use Slack a lot, and we jump on video or audio calls when synchronous discussion is more effective.
We provide all our team members with a wide selection of benefits including:
- Option on a 4 day work week (80% salary)
- Competitive compensation
- Expensive healthcare (medical, dental, vision)
- 401(k) contribution
- Life and disability insurance
- Parental leave
- Home office allowance
- And more