Unveiling Roblox Software Engineer Salary: An In-Depth Analysis
Discover the comprehensive details of a Roblox Software Engineer Salary, benefits, and work-life balance. Make an informed career decision today!
8 min read
10 Oct, 2023
Roblox is a leading platform for user-generated gaming and interactive experiences, captivating millions of users worldwide.
But have you ever wondered who's behind those seamless gaming experiences and jaw-dropping virtual worlds? They are Roblox's Software Engineers—highly skilled professionals who receive competitive salaries and enjoy a myriad of benefits and a work culture that's second to none.
Join us as we dive deep into what it's like to be a Software Engineer at Roblox, from the pay and perks to the company culture that makes it all tick.
Roblox Software Engineer Salaries by Level
Data derived from Levels.fyi showcases salary information for Software Engineers at Roblox. Here's a comprehensive breakdown:
|Level||Level Name||Total Compensation||Base Salary||Stock (/yr)||Bonus|
|IC1||Software Engineer (Entry Level)||$239K||$157K||$77K||$5K|
|IC3||Senior Software Engineer||$379K||$226K||$153K||$0|
|IC5||Principal Software Engineer||$681K||$325K||$356K||$0|
IC1: Software Engineer
Software Engineer is the entry-level role in the hierarchy. A software engineer earns a total compensation of $239K annually. This includes a base salary of $157K, $77K in stock, and a bonus of $5K.
IC2: Senior Software Engineer
The next level, Senior Software Engineer, sees a significant bump in total compensation to $286K. The base salary increases to $174K, and the stock portion rises to $111K, with a decreased bonus of $712.
IC3: Lead Software Engineer
As a Lead Software Engineer, the total compensation increases to $379K. This comprises a base salary of $226K and stock worth $153K.
IC4: Principal Software Engineer
The total compensation reaches an impressive $498K at the Principal Software Engineer level. This comes from a base salary of $275K, a massive $221K in stock, and a nominal bonus of $2K.
IC5: Principal Software Engineer
As a more experienced Principal Software Engineer, the total compensation dramatically rises to $681K. The base salary is $325K, complemented by a substantial stock package worth $356K. There is no bonus at this level.
Would you like a 4 day work week?
IC6: Staff Engineer
The total compensation reaches a remarkable $799K at the Staff Engineer level. The base salary slightly drops to $323K but is heavily compensated by an exceptional stock package worth $476K. Again, no bonus is provided at this level.
TD1: Technical Director
The Technical Director receives a whopping compensation of $1.2M, and the base salary is $395K. This is accompanied by an exceptional stock package worth $806K.
Career Progression and Salary Increases at Roblox
Explore how careers evolve and compensation grows as engineers advance through the ranks at Roblox.
- IC1 to IC2: A promotion from IC1 to IC2 substantially increases total compensation, jumping from $239K to $286K. The responsibilities amplified with an increased focus on project management and leadership.
- IC2 to IC3: Transitioning from IC2 to IC3 comes with a significant pay rise from $286K to $379K. The role intensifies with the addition of senior-level duties such as mentoring junior engineers and spearheading advanced technical projects.
- IC3 to IC4: The final ascension from IC3 to IC4 yields the highest remuneration of $498K. The responsibilities broaden to include strategic decision-making, technical leadership, and a stronger influence on product development.
- IC4 to IC5: Progressing from IC4 to IC5 results in a marked salary boost from $498K to $681K. In this elevated role, one is expected to contribute significantly to the architectural decisions and technical roadmaps of projects
- IC5 to IC6: Moving up from IC5 to IC6 brings a total compensation increase from $681K to $799K. At this level, the individual is typically responsible for cross-team coordination, handling large-scale projects, and may even play a part in shaping the company's technical vision.
- IC6 to TD1: The Technical Director (TD1) role comes with a considerable salary jump from $799K to $1.2M. Responsibilities in this role are strategic and high-stakes, often involving company-wide technical initiatives and decisions.
The Variation of Roblox Software Engineer Salaries Across Locations
Salaries for Software Engineers can vary significantly based on their geographical location. Factors such as the local tech industry's competitiveness and the cost of living are vital in determining compensation.
- California, United States: In the hub of tech innovation, the base salary tends to be higher due to the competitive market and high cost of living.
- New York, United States: Like California, this bustling city sees higher salaries due to its competitive tech market.
- Texas, United States: Salaries may be slightly lower due to a lower cost of living, but the total compensation package remains competitive. Washington, United States**: In this tech-rich state, salaries are competitive, with tech giants influencing the market rates.
- Remote Work: For software engineers remote job, the location variable is often negated. The salary range can be more flexible, depending on the employee's state and market value.
Understanding these regional variations is essential for job seekers and the company to maintain competitive salary structures.
Top 10 Benefits at Roblox
Roblox offers an extensive array of benefits to its employees, ensuring a comfortable work environment and a balanced professional life.
Below are the ten most significant benefits offered, according to data sourced from Levels.fyi:
- Employee Assistance Program: A supportive initiative by the employer.
- Free Lunch: Provided five days a week.
- Gender Neutral Bathrooms: An inclusive facility.
- On-Site Mother's Room: For working mothers' convenience.
- Custom Work Station: Offering a personalized workspace for each employee.
- Free Drinks and Snacks: Available to all employees.
- Gym / Wellness Reimbursement: $50 per month.
- On-Site Gym: Promoting health and wellness within the workplace.
- PTO (Vacation / Personal Days): Unlimited, offering great work-life balance.
- Fertility Assistance: A thoughtful provision for family planning.
Unveiling the Work Culture at Roblox
According to Comparably, Roblox's employees reported mixed feelings about the company's work-life balance. The table below outlines data collected from various departments, displaying the harmony, happiness level, and overall culture score.
|Department||Work Life Balance||Happiness||Culture Score|
While the Marketing department shines with an A+ in work-life balance and culture score, the Engineering, Design, and Operations departments struggle slightly with maintaining equilibrium.
The Admin department exhibits the lowest ratings, suggesting improvements could be made in these areas. Despite some challenges, all departments, except Admin, reported happiness levels of A or higher, indicating that the environment is favorable overall.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is the average salary at Roblox?
The average wage at Roblox for a Software Engineer can vary based on the engineer's level. For instance, an IC1-level Software Engineer has a total compensation of $239K per year, while a Technical Director (TD1) level engineer can expect to earn around $1.2M per year.
Q. What is the highest salary for a Software Engineer at Roblox?
The highest salary offered for a Software Engineer at Roblox is at the TD1 (Technical Director) level, where the total compensation can reach up to $1.2M per year. This includes a base salary of $395K and stock options worth $806K annually.
Q. What are the most common skills required as a Software Engineer at Roblox?
The most common skills required for a Software Engineer at Roblox include knowledge of online gaming, social gaming, mobile gaming, virtual reality, game-development tools, distributed systems, and more. This also provides proficiency in programming languages and an understanding of software engineering principles.
Q. How much does an entry-level Software Engineer make at Roblox?
An entry-level Software Engineer at Roblox, or an IC1 level engineer, can expect to earn a total compensation of $239K annually. This includes a base salary of $157K, stock options worth $77K per year, and a bonus of $5K.
A career as a Software Engineer at Roblox offers a competitive salary and a robust benefits package, positioning it as an enticing career path for professionals in the field.
And yes, if you're new to all this and looking for solid advice, don't skip the 'Advice and Guide' section. It's packed with insider tips!