LinkedIn Software Engineer Salary: An In-depth Guide
Explore LinkedIn Software Engineer salaries, benefits, and work culture at different job levels. Gain insights for your tech career.
7 min read
21 Aug, 2023
LinkedIn stands tall as one of the foremost professional networking platforms, connecting individuals and opportunities across the globe.
With a staggering user base of 930 million members spanning over 200 countries and territories worldwide, LinkedIn has revolutionized how professionals engage and provided invaluable insights into various industries' inner workings.
Join us as we delve into the intricate world of LinkedIn software engineer salaries, shedding light on the factors influencing their earning potential and the value they bring to this ever-evolving digital giant.
LinkedIn Software Engineer Salary by Job Level
Below is a comprehensive breakdown of the salary structure for different Software Engineers at LinkedIn levels.
|L2||Apprentice Software Engineer||$134K||$106K||$22K||$6K|
|L4||Senior Software Engineer||$326K||$197K||$113K||$17K|
|L5||Staff Software Engineer||$454K||$233K||$206K||$15K|
|L6||Senior Staff Software Engineer||$657K||$278K||$330K||$48K|
|L7||Principal Staff Software Engineer||$1M||$323K||$608K||$70K|
L2: Apprentice Software Engineer
The L2 level, the Apprentice Software Engineer, is a starting point for budding engineers. The total compensation is $134K, including a $106K base salary, $22K in stocks per year, and a $6K bonus.
L3: Software Engineer
Climbing up the ladder, Software Engineers at L3 earn $211K. The remuneration includes a $145K base salary, annual stock worth $54K, and a $12K bonus.
L4: Senior Software Engineer
The total compensation for the Senior Software Engineer role at the L4 level rises significantly to $326K. This comprises a $197K base salary, a yearly stock value of $113K, and a $17K bonus.
L5: Staff Software Engineer
The L5 level represents Staff Software Engineers. These seasoned professionals receive $454K, broken down into a $234K base salary, $206K in stocks per year, and a $15K bonus.
L6: Senior Staff Software Engineer
The L6 level is for Senior Staff Software Engineers. These seasoned professionals receive $657K, broken down into a $278K base salary, $330K in stocks per year, and a $48K bonus.
Would you like a 4 day work week?
L7: Principal Staff Software Engineer
The highest level in this analysis, L7, represents Principal Staff Software Engineers. These seasoned professionals receive $1M, broken down into a $323K base salary, $608K in stocks per year, and a $70K bonus.
LinkedIn Software Engineer Salary Progression
- Apprentice Software Engineer L2 to Software Engineer L3: Moving up from an apprentice, an engineer can expect a substantial increase in their total compensation from $134K to $211K. This reflects the newfound responsibilities of handling more complex tasks and contributing to project development.
- Software Engineer L3 to Senior Software Engineer L4: A promotion to a senior role also comes with a significant pay bump, going from $211K to $326K. The role of a Senior Software Engineer involves leading project teams and making critical decisions.
- Senior Software Engineer L4 to Staff Software Engineer L5: As a Staff Software Engineer, one can anticipate a total compensation of $454K. This role includes the responsibility of driving technical strategy and leading cross-functional projects.
- Senior Software Engineer L5 to Senior Staff Software Engineer L6: As a Staff Software Engineer, one can anticipate a total compensation of $657K. This role involves leading and designing significant software initiatives, providing technical guidance, and managing small teams.
- Senior Staff Software Engineer L6 to Principal Staff Software Engineer L7: As a Staff Software Engineer, one can anticipate a total compensation of $1M. This role includes driving complex software projects, setting technical strategy, and mentoring senior engineers.
LinkedIn Software Engineer Salary Variation by Location
When embarking on your software engineering journey with LinkedIn, it's essential to understand that location plays a pivotal role in determining your salary. Let's delve into some geographical considerations:
- California, United States: The world's tech hub, California, offers competitive salaries that often exceed the national average due to the high cost of living and thriving tech industry.
- European Locations: Software engineers in LinkedIn's European offices can expect a different scale of remuneration. While salaries are competitive, they may not match those offered in the United States due to differences in market dynamics.
- Asian Locations: In Asian countries, the cost of living is typically lower. This is often reflected in the salary ranges, which, while still competitive, may be lower than those in Western countries.
- Remote Work: Location has become less of a factor with the advent of remote work. However, LinkedIn may factor in the cost of living of your location when determining remote salaries.
Here is a breakdown of how salaries differ in different locations:
|Location||Average Base Salary|
|San Francisco, CA||$174K|
|New York, NY||$162K|
Source: Interview Query
So, while your skills, education, and job title significantly impact your salary, your geographical location also plays a crucial role in determining your total compensation.
Top 10 Benefits at LinkedIn
According to Levels.fyi, LinkedIn provides its employees with a wide range of benefits. Here are the top 10:
- Fertility Assistance: They offer egg freezing as a part of their comprehensive fertility assistance package.
- Free Meals: LinkedIn provides free lunch and dinner five days a week and a complimentary breakfast.
- Wellness Reimbursement: An annual sum of $2,000 is allotted for gym and wellness activities.
- Unlimited Sick Time and PTO: Employees can take as many sick days as necessary and enjoy unlimited vacation and personal days.
- Phone Bill Reimbursement: LinkedIn reimburses up to $80 monthly for your phone bills.
- Donation Match: The company matches 100% of your donations up to $15,000.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees receive up to $5,000 as compensation for educational expenses.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP): This program enables employees to contribute up to 15% of their base salary to purchase stock at a 10% discount.
- 401k Match: LinkedIn matches 50% of an employee's contribution up to $22,500.
- Remote Work: The opportunity to work remotely is offered based on team policies.
LinkedIn's Work Culture
LinkedIn continuously strives to foster a healthy and vibrant work culture. The data from Comparably provides an enlightening perspective on the company's work environs across different departments.
|Department||Work Life Balance||Happiness||Culture Score|
It's commendable that all departments scored an 'A+' in happiness, symbolizing LinkedIn's relentless efforts to maintain employee morale.
LinkedIn provides a robust platform to thrive professionally, perpetually striving to strike the ideal work-life balance and fostering workplace happiness. The work culture at LinkedIn is a testament to their commitment to employee well-being and growth.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How much do software engineers make at LinkedIn?
The average total compensation of a software engineer at LinkedIn is diverse and depends on the level. It can range anywhere from $134K for an Apprentice Software Engineer (L2) to $1M for a Principal Staff Software Engineer (L7).
Q. What is the average base salary at LinkedIn?
The base salaries at LinkedIn for software engineers also vary depending on the role. For instance, an Apprentice Software Engineer (L2) earns a base salary of $106K, while a Principal Staff Software Engineer (L7) receives a base salary of $323K.
Q. What is the highest salary offered as a software engineer at LinkedIn?
The highest total compensation at LinkedIn is for the Principal Staff Software Engineer (L7) role, earning an impressive $1M annually. This amount includes their base salary, stock per year, and bonus.
Q. What are the most common skills required as a software engineer at LinkedIn?
Skills such as proficiency in various programming languages (like Java, Python, C++), understanding of data structures and algorithms, and familiarity with software development methodologies are essential for a software engineer at LinkedIn. Additional skills may include problem-solving abilities, communication skills, and teamwork.
Q. How much does an entry-level software engineer make at LinkedIn?
An entry-level software engineer at LinkedIn, an Apprentice Software Engineer (L2), earns a total compensation of $134K, including a base salary of $106K, $22K in stock per year, and a $6K bonus.
To sum up, LinkedIn offers competitive salaries and a range of perks and benefits, making it an attractive destination for professionals. From beginners to experts, LinkedIn values talent and fosters growth.