Box Software Engineer Salary Revealed: Expectations vs Reality
Uncover the Box Software Engineer salary structure, benefits, and work culture. Get actionable insights to boost your earning potential now!
7 min read
14 Dec, 2023
Box, renowned for revolutionizing cloud content management and file-sharing services, is a significant player in the tech industry with a dynamic workforce of 2,487 employees.
Its software engineers are at the core of Box's innovation, whose skills and ingenuity drive the company's continuous growth and success.
Join us as we delve into the lives of Box's software engineers, exploring their competitive salary structures, comprehensive benefits, and the unique work culture that fosters professional development and personal fulfillment.
Box Software Engineer Salaries: An Overview
Are you curious about the earning potential at Box? Here's a structured breakdown of the various compensation packages for Software Engineers. The salary data is reliably sourced from levels.fyi, offering transparent insights into tech companies' compensation structures.
|Stock per Year
|Software Engineer I (Entry Level)
|Software Engineer II
|Software Engineer III
|Senior Software Engineer
|Staff Software Engineer
L4 - Software Engineer I
An entry-level role in the engineering hierarchy, the Software Engineer I at Box commands an average compensation of $191K. This includes a solid base salary of $153K, stock options worth $38K annually, and an annual bonus of $325.
L5 - Software Engineer II
At the Software Engineer II level, the total compensation is $206K, with a base salary of $153K. The stock options are valued at $49K annually, and the annual bonus is $4K.
L6 - Software Engineer III
The Software Engineer III role at Box, classified as L6, earns a substantial total compensation of $238K. Their base pay is $184K, stock options amount to $53K annually, and they receive a modest $1K bonus.
L7 - Senior Software Engineer
The Senior Software Engineer at the L7 level has a total compensation of $301K. The base salary for this position is $203K, with stock options contributing $97K per year. Additionally, a bonus of $179 is provided.
L8 - Staff Software Engineer
The Staff Software Engineer, or L8 level, enjoys a total compensation of $372K. This includes a base salary of $258K, $111K in stock options per year, and a $4K bonus.
Would you like a 4 day work week?
Career Progression at Box: Software Engineer Salary Levels
Box offers a substantial career path for software engineers. With every promotion, a noticeable salary rise is commensurate with increased responsibilities. Let's delve into this progression:
- Software Engineer I (L4) to Software Engineer II (L5): The jump from L4 to L5 at Box increases total compensation from $191K to $206K annually. As a Software Engineer II, one might engage in more complex projects, contribute to design discussions, and start to take on mentorship roles for junior engineers.
- Software Engineer II (L5) to Software Engineer III (L6): Advancing to the Software Engineer III level, the total compensation will rise to $238K. Engineers are expected to handle more significant aspects of project development in this role, demonstrate more vital problem-solving skills, and potentially lead smaller teams or projects.
- Software Engineer III (L6) to Senior Software Engineer (L7): Moving up to the Senior Software Engineer position comes with a notable increase in total compensation to $301K. Senior Software Engineers typically have broader responsibilities, including leading large-scale projects, mentoring teams, and contributing to strategic decisions in their domain.
- Senior Software Engineer (L7) to Staff Software Engineer (L8): Progressing to the Staff Software Engineer level, professionals experience a significant leap in compensation to $372K. Staff Software Engineers often play a crucial role in shaping the technical direction, leading complex and critical projects, and driving innovation within the company.
Box Software Engineer Salary by Location
The salary for a Box Software Engineer varies based on many factors, with location being a significant determinant:
|Average Base Salaries
|San Francisco, CA
Source: Interview Query
Top Benefits Offered at Box
Box is recognized for providing a plethora of benefits to its employees. Notably, some of the key benefits offered by the company include:
- Vision Insurance: Box recognizes the importance of vision health and offers this essential benefit to its employees.
- Health Insurance: Prioritizing the health and well-being of employees, Box offers health insurance coverage.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program offers various services to help employees manage challenges.
- Dental Insurance: Dental health is equally prioritized with dental insurance coverage.
- Maternity and Paternity Leave: Box supports the joy of parenthood by providing maternity and paternity leave.
- Fertility Assistance: Fertility assistance is also provided for those seeking family planning solutions.
- Learning and Development: Box encourages continuous learning and development opportunities.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP): Employees have the opportunity for ownership through the ESPP.
- PTO (Vacation / Personal Days): Offering a good work-life balance, Box provides paid time off for vacation and personal days.
- Remote Work: With the changing work dynamics, Box supports a remote-first work environment.
For a complete list of benefits, refer to the source data on Levels. fyi.
Box's Exceptional Working Culture
Box prides itself on its vibrant working culture. Employees across different departments have recognized the company's commitment to work-life balance, happiness, and an inclusive culture. Let's delve into the specifics:
Sales and Customer Support departments at Box are leading the charge with an A+ rating across all dimensions. While achieving an A+ for happiness and culture, the Engineering and Product departments show room for improvement in work-life balance with a rating of B-. The operations department should prioritize improving work-life balance, currently rated D, despite achieving an A+ in Happiness and Culture Score.
Notably, these ratings testify to Box's commitment to its employees' fulfillment and satisfaction. More detailed insights can be found on Comparably.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How much do Software Engineers make at Box?
Software Engineers at Box earn a total compensation ranging from $191K for Level I (Entry Level) to $372K for Staff Software Engineers. This compensation includes base salary, stock, and bonuses.
Q. What is the average salary at Box?
The average total compensation of a Box Software Engineer ranges significantly based on the level. For example, a Software Engineer II earns around $206K, while a Staff Software Engineer makes about $372K. This includes base pay, yearly stock options, and bonuses.
Q. What is the highest salary for a Software Engineer at Box?
The highest compensation offered to Software Engineers at Box (L8) is $372K for Staff Software Engineers. This package includes a base salary of $258K, $111K in stock per year, and a $4K bonus.
Q. What are the most common skills required as a Software Engineer at Box?
Skills required for a Software Engineer at Box include expertise in cloud computing, enterprise software, information technology, and mobile enterprise security.
Q. How much does an entry-level Software Engineer make at Box?
An entry-level Software Engineer (Software Engineer I) at Box earns a total compensation of $191K. This includes a base salary of $153K, $38K in stock per year, and a $325 bonus.
Box stands out in the tech industry with its competitive salary and many benefits. The work-life balance and culture score seal the deal, making it an ideal choice for ambitious software engineers. The company offers a compelling package beyond financial compensation, providing an environment that nurtures growth and development.
Feeling inspired to explore further? Check out more career opportunities with better work-life balance on 4dayweek.io. It's time to redefine your career and join the revolution of the 4-day work week!