Flexibility is vital to success in our business and many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time, 4 days @ 80% salary and compressed hours. Don't let anything stop you from applying.
Only considering candidates who are eligible to work in Sydney, Australia ⚠️
The future of energy is digitised, decarbonised and localised. At Smartest Energy, we need revolutionary thinkers to help our customers make the most of this new landscape, thinking differently to find smart solutions to complex problems.
Formed in 2001, we’re an agile business driven by entrepreneurial thinking. As a subsidiary of the Marubeni Corporation, we also have strong investment and infrastructure behind us. As well as our office in Australia we have three offices in the UK and one in the US. Further expansion is planned for 2024 and beyond which means global career opportunities for you, with plenty of potential to explore new markets.
Flexibility is vital to success in our business and many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time, compressed hours, remotely or a mix of remote/office. Please talk to us about what flexibility means to you and don’t let anything stop you from applying.
When you join our Team, you will have the opportunity to contribute and make an impact every single day.
Reporting to the Head of Trading, SEA is seeking a highly skilled and motivated Forward Trader to join our team with a focus on the Australian National Electricity Market (NEM), SRAs and related derivatives. As a Forward Trader, you will be responsible for trading power products in the ASX and OTC forward markets, managing market risks, and identifying and executing profitable trading opportunities. The ideal candidate should have a deep understanding of the NEM market, portfolio structure, strong analytical skills, and experience in trading and risk management.
In this role, you will be involved with the following:
- Develop and implement trading strategies to maximize profitability in the forward markets.
- Conduct analysis of NEM market fundamentals, technical indicators, and portfolio gaps to identify trading opportunities.
- Execute trades in the ASX electricity market, engage OTC opportunities and manage market risks through hedging strategies.
- Collaborate with other teams, such as Risk, Finance and the broader Trading team, to optimize trading decisions and minimize risks.
- Monitor and analyze NEM market trends and regulatory developments that may impact power markets and trading strategies.
- Communicate market insights and trading strategies to other traders, management, and external stakeholders.
Manage Trading positions and P&L and provide regular reporting to management.
To be successful in this role, you are likely to have the following skills/experience:
- Bachelor's degree in finance, economics, engineering, or related field. Advanced degree preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in power markets trading or related field, with a focus on the Australian NEM.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to conduct in-depth analysis of NEM market data and trends.
Proven track record of successful trading and risk management in the Australian power markets, specifically the NEM.
What else do we offer?
- A genuine commitment to smarter working – we recognise your work/life balance matters;
- Excellent compensation package;
- Open and inclusive work culture to bring your best self to work;
- Career development and learning opportunity;
- Role is based in Sydney
We know that for our business to thrive we need diverse talent with a range of backgrounds, skills and capabilities in each of the countries in which we operate. We view diversity as one of the key enablers that helps our business to grow.
Celebrating our inclusive and diverse culture is core to what we do. We value everybody irrespective of background, disability, religion, gender identity, sexuality or ethnicity.