Senior Product Designer
We're looking for a Senior Product Designer to join our fully remote and mission-driven team.
Full-time · Remote
At Buffer, we make social media and brand building software for small businesses, creators, and individuals. Our mission is to provide essential tools to help small businesses get off the ground and grow. Through exceptional customer service and uplifting content, we help our customers believe they can succeed and do good along the way.
We’re a fully distributed team, and we’ve always aimed to do things a little differently at Buffer. Since the early days, we’ve had a focus on building one of the most unique and fulfilling workplaces by rethinking a lot of traditional practices. We also default to transparency, so you can read all about our successes and failures along the way on our Open Blog.
Our team is made up of amazing individuals who hail from startups to the theater from all over the world - we value diverse and non-traditional backgrounds and encourage all those who are interested in joining the journey to apply.
We're united by Buffer's values, and we celebrate our unique differences. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment and are building a culture where underrepresented groups are welcome and can flourish.
About the role
We’re looking for an experienced Senior Product Designer to help us iterate and improve upon the foundation we’ve built as well as help imagine what’s next.
You’ll refine and improve existing workflows and features with our content management, scheduling, analytics, and engagement tools. Beyond our core offerings, you’ll explore and bring to life entirely new interfaces and experiences – both inside and outside of social media – to better help small businesses get off the ground and grow.
We are a design team of 4 designers, working fully remote and spread across Europe, North Africa, and the US. Each designer works closely with a dedicated Product Manager and engineering team on a specific area of our product.
To be successful in this role you’ll need strong analytical and collaboration skills, the ability to work highly self-directed in a remote and distributed environment, and a strong understanding of UX best practices to ensure we are building the right solution to the right problems.
What you'll do
- Work across the full product design life cycle from discovery to delivery
- Collaborate closely with your product manager in discovering, defining and developing both big and small product features
- Collaborate with engineers and other designers, as well as product marketing and customer advocacy in iteratively delivering product improvements to our customers
- Cover both interaction/UX and visual/UI design, as well as related activities like research and customer interviews
- Be the voice of our customers and advocate for their needs and abilities.
- Actively contribute to ongoing improvements of the design teams processes, culture, and tools, including our design system.
Desired skills and experience
- General: At least 4 years of experience as a product designer, covering the full end-to-end product design life cycle from early problem exploration and definition, over detailed UX and visual design, to collaboration with developers during implementation.
- Process: Strong understanding of UX and UI design, processes, patterns, and best practices
- Problem solving: Effective approaches to solving complex problems, incorporating data and feedback from multiple sources. Ability to generate multiple solutions with a clear understanding of their impacts.
- Interaction design: Ability to design intuitive, effective and consistent flows and screen
- Visual design: Ability to design visually engaging and delightful interfaces
- Technical: Solid understanding of possibilities and constrains of web platforms and relevant design patterns
- Collaboration: Ability to work within a larger team and across disciplines, locations and time zones
- Communication: Ability to effectively express yourself concise and clearly in talking, writing and visually, to a variety of audiences and stakeholders
- Business: Ability to understand larger business goals and strategy, and to develop matching design solutions
- Work standards: High standards for your work, attention to details, and an ongoing desire to learn and improve
- Other: A strong portfolio showcasing your previous work including starting points, process, end results, and impacts.
- Fun fact: We use Figma and FigJam at Buffer.
Where you'll work
Buffer is a fully distributed remote team, which means we’re spread across the planet. We have Bufferoos in 22 countries and 58 cities around the world that help us build a great culture and product. You can work wherever in the world you're happiest and most productive.
What we value
Transparency, gratitude, and improving consistently are just a few of the values that contribute to Buffer’s culture of optimism, empathy, and results.
We are looking for a person who understands this culture and will thrive within a team of people passionate about self-improvement, honesty and openness.
Perks and Benefits
💰 Competitive salary: Our salary formula adjusts to your cost of living and experience. For this role, the range is $140K - 172K USD.
🏝 Work remotely: Live and work wherever you like!
🗓 **4-Day workweeks:**Our schedule is four workdays, with a flexible, meeting-free fifth day for overflow tasks or personal time as you see fit.
💪 Health insurance: We offer health insurance for all of our team members, international or US.
💻 Home office setup: Get a laptop + $1000 to set up your home office!
👓 'Growth mindset' fund: Extra money for learning and development.
⛺️ Minimum vacation: At least 3 weeks/year!
💵 Savings plan match: With 3% company match
📈 Profit sharing: When the company does well, all team members share the profits!
🍼 Family leave: 16 weeks of family leave for all parents, fully paid
📚 Free books: Get a free Kindle and all the free books - digital, physical, and audio - you like, anytime.
⛱ Sabbaticals: Take a 6-week break, fully paid, after every 5 years with Buffer.
Apply for the job
Do you believe you're a fit for this role and want to join the Buffer team? Then we'd love to hear from you!
Here's what the hiring process will look like:
- Apply to join the team through the form below. (You'll hear from us a few weeks after submitting your application).
- An interview with the Hiring Manager, Martin
- Take-home exercise to better understand your design process
- Interviews with additional product team members (designers, PMs, and our CPO Maria)
- An interview with our Founder and CEO, Joel.
At Buffer, we value diversity of thought and understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
Buffer's mission is to provide essential tools to help small businesses get off the ground and grow. Through exceptional customer service and uplifting content, we help businesses believe they can succeed and do good along the way.