Senior Unreal Engineer
We practise "Free Choice Friday" where you can skill up, learn something new or take every Friday off making every week a 4 day work week! No one at BYG is required to work more than 32 hours per week
Only considering candidates who are eligible to work in British Columbia, Canada ⚠️
Brace Yourself Games is hiring! We are the creators of Cadence of Hyrule, Crypt of the NecroDancer, Rift of the NecroDancer, Phantom Brigade, and more. At BYG we believe in an inclusive and collaborative workplace where individuals from all backgrounds can bring their best selves to work.
We are looking for a Senior Unreal Engineer for a lead role who shares our values to help bring our creations to life!
Duties will include:
- Leading a small team of 1-2 engineers in the development and implementation of high-quality gameplay systems and features using UE5.
- Architecting and implementing gameplay systems in C++, including exposing gameplay elements to Blueprints for design iteration and prototyping.
- Management and mentorship, including providing technical direction and assistance, and supporting the career growth and development of your report(s).
- Collaborating within a cross-functional team, including art, QA, design, and audio, to deliver high-quality and engaging gaming experiences with an eye to scope and viability.
- Demonstrating an ongoing commitment to a diverse, equitable and inclusive workspace and promoting our continual growth in these areas.
- Remaining up-to-date with the latest industry trends and advancements in Unreal Engine.
- 8+ years of professional programming experience, with at least one shipped product.
- 3+ years of experience with Unreal Engine.
- Strong knowledge of C++ and Unreal Engine, including Blueprints and the latest features and tools.
- Familiarity with gameplay systems, AI, physics, animation, and other game development disciplines.
- Have experience as an engineering lead on a gaming project.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, with an open mind-set when receiving feedback.
- Able to pivot based on project priorities and to help inform those priorities from a technical perspective.
- Excitement for building inclusive games for diverse audiences.
- A commitment to and experience fostering a collaborative and inclusive work environment with an empathetic approach to team dynamics.
- Humble with a growth mindset.
- Willing to relocate to British Columbia, Canada (we will sponsor a visa for the right candidate).
Nice to have:
- At least one shipped Unreal Engine product is a plus.
- Familiarity with other game engines and programming languages.
Note: Don’t feel like you meet every requirement listed above? We encourage you to apply anyway! We recognise that not everyone’s journey is the same and that each person brings something unique and wonderful, all of which makes BYG a better place.
Brace Yourself Games is located in downtown Vancouver, Canada. This position is open to in-person work at our downtown office, full remote (anywhere within BC), or a combination. This is a permanent full time paid position. Rate of pay is above industry standard and includes a profit sharing plan and an outstanding benefits package. We develop games because games make us happy. If we’re not having fun doing it, what’s the point? No one at BYG is required to work more than 32 hours per week. We maintain an inclusive, supportive, fun company culture.
Free Choice Friday where you can skill up, learn something new or make something (or take every Friday off making every week a 4 day work week)! More info: https://braceyourselfgames.com/2021/09/14/free-choice-fridays/
More info on our benefits: https://braceyourselfgames.com/careers/benefits/
More info on our stance on overtime: https://braceyourselfgames.com/2021/09/29/our-stance-on-overtime/
We’re looking for the candidate who will make BYG an even better place to work! We will respond to successful applicants with an offer to interview. Thanks very much! We look forward to hearing from you.