Senior UI/UX Designer
In 2022, we announced that our studio is implementing a four-day work week (32hrs) as well as supporting in-studio, remote, and hybrid work arrangements as permanent options to our employees.
Posted 1 month ago
Blackbird Interactive is a creative-fueled, future-driven, independent game studio where the best talent in the industry can find long-term careers to help grow their abilities while working on a wide range of projects, which encompass world-class IPs as well as our own creations across multiple genres.
In 2022, we announced that our studio is implementing a four-day work week as well as supporting in-studio, remote within Canada, and hybrid work arrangements as permanent options to our employees.
Blackbird Interactive is looking for an experienced UI/UX Technical Designer to join our growing studio. We have an exciting new project and are looking for a key hire to assist with UX design, as well as the development for the project.
Do you want to build compelling game experiences that put your design skills to work? Have you designed, prototyped and delivered user interfaces? Do you love working collaboratively with a small team of talented designers, artists and programmers to create ambitious user experiences? If so, this role could be for you!
As a Senior UI/UX Technical Designer, you care about shaping an engaging player experience and bringing together a blend of creative and technical solutions.
- Drive creation and implementation of the UI/UX for the entire game.
- Help organize and assemble layouts for the game, and apply and maintain a consistent art style throughout the entire project interface.
- Create meaningful UX deliverables such as motion graphics and concepts that support the product vision, and define the complete user experience.
- Work collaboratively within a team of developers to create and implement UI components, and create an intuitive UI experience.
- Drive and support your ideas all the way through the successful launch of a project.
- Ability to provide and receive constructive feedback and to work as part of a team.
- Strong knowledge of development software (ex: Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.).
- Work collaboratively within a team of developers to create and implement UI components and create an intuitive user experience.
- Provide team-facing documentation to inform and guide the work of downstream groups.
- Implementation of input systems in Unreal.
- Understand, interpret and execute in creative direction, in alignment with project goals.
- Review and incorporate feedback on your work from leadership and other designers.
- A minimum of 3-5 years experience as a UI/UX Designer.
- An understanding of UI, and usability principles.
- At least one shipped AAA product (PC, Console or Mobile).
- Proven capability to work on multidisciplinary project teams, able to handle changing priorities throughout a product life cycle.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Experience creating UX designs, screenflow, motion graphics, UI art, style guides and supporting concepts using standard tools of the trade (Photoshop, illustrator, AfterFX etc).
- Strong understanding of console UI/UX
- Have a good understanding of PC and Console control paradigms.
- Hands-on technical design and implementation background.
- Unreal Engine (UMG, Blueprint Visual Scripting) experience.
- A degree in design, human-computer interaction, cognitive science, human factors or related fields.
- Traditional 2D sketching and composition skills, prototyping skills with tools such as Adobe Flash / Microsoft Blend.
- Understanding of games as a service and the UX design of online portals.
- Demonstrated passion for entertainment products / media (i.e. comics, movies, novels, etc.).
- Experience playing modern RTS games such as Starcraft and Company of Heroes, as well as MOBAs like League of Legends.
- Experience with multiple areas of design (systems design, level design, UI/UX)
- Unity experience.
- Experience working on PC products.
Vacation & Extras
+ 4-day, 32-hour work week for all full-time staff
+ Mentorship program
+ Skunkworks internal game jam program
+ 4 weeks paid vacation per year
+ 11 paid stat holidays
+ 3 paid days per year for professional development
+ December holiday studio closure (extra paid time off!)
+ Comprehensive health/dental benefits from day 1
+ Life insurance
+ $300 Healthcare Spending Account per annum
+ RRSP matching up to $1500
+ Profit-sharing bonus program
If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
Any questions about the role and/or accessibility requests can be sent to: [email protected]
Unfortunately, we cannot reply to everyone. Only successful applicants will be contacted about the next steps. Thank you for your understanding.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to inclusion and especially encourage members of historically marginalized communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on gender, race, national and ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Blackbird Interactive is privileged to be developing our projects on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish) and səl̓ílwətaʔɬ /Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.