Senior Software Engineer (frontend)
Senior Software Engineer (frontend)
We're looking for a Senior Software Engineer with strong frontend expertise to join our
fully remote and mission-driven team.
Full-time · Remote · Salary range of $147,826 - $191,071 USD
At Buffer, we make social media and brand-building software for small businesses, creators, and individuals. Our mission is to provide essential tools to help small businesses get off the ground and grow. Through exceptional customer service and uplifting content, we help our customers believe they can succeed and do good along the way.
We’re a fully distributed team, and we’ve always aimed to do things a little differently at Buffer. Since the early days, we’ve had a focus on building one of the most unique and fulfilling workplaces by rethinking a lot of traditional practices. We also default to transparency, so you can read all about our metrics, and our successes and failures along the way on our Transparency Dashboard.
Our team is made up of amazing individuals who hail from startups to the theater from all over the world - we value diverse and non-traditional backgrounds and encourage all those who are interested in joining the journey to apply.
We're united by Buffer's values, and we celebrate our unique differences. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment and are building a culture where underrepresented groups are welcome and can flourish. Within Engineering, we value engineers who enable the teams around them through sharing knowledge and mentoring others.
About Buffer Engineering
We are a dynamic, lean, and fast-moving engineering team focused on the consistent delivery of value to delight our customers. We care about the quality of our product, and by working small with a continuous improvement mindset, we aim to leave our code well-tested and better than when we started.
Buffer follows a product-led growth strategy, meaning we offer a comprehensive free plan for customers to use and experience our product, and then we grow through providing enhanced capabilities on our paid plans. We learn through experimentation and make data-informed decisions to inform our next features or enhancements to what we have today.
Our engineering architectural decisions and standards are decided on by the engineers that are closest to the problem. This means that you will, through active participation in one of our working groups (otherwise known as guilds or community of practice), be a part of designing the system that serves our business and customers best.
We pride ourselves in working with a small team mindset, collaborating closely across areas, and putting our customers at the heart of all decisions. We value and reward respectful, empathetic discussion and collaboration when creating solutions. We recognize that each situation is unique, often in subtle ways, and we favor doing what makes sense for that situation over dogmatism.
What you’ll be doing
- You will join the Channels team responsible for core parts of Buffer’s product, including channel connections, scheduling and publishing posts, analytics, and 3rd party integrations.
- You will write and ship high-quality, tested, and efficient code that contributes to Buffer’s goals.
- You will join the engineering on-call rotation and support your team in keeping the light on the services we own by responding to incidents, fixing bugs, and performing day-to-day maintenance operations.
- You will lead frontend direction within the Channels team and contribute to cross-team initiatives defining our frontend engineering standards to improve the consistency and quality of our codebases and processes.
- You will provide technical guidance to your peers through mentoring and code reviews.
- You will instrument data tracking on the features you develop to help analyze usage and adoption after release.
- You will work closely with product managers, designers, and customer advocates to understand the needs of our users and assess the feasibility of various solutions to address these needs.
Working at Buffer is collaborative and positive, thanks to our core values. We try to be “No Ego Doers” who are aware of our assumptions, and joining us means you'll work together as a team in order to test and confirm our ideas.
Helpful skills and experience
- You acted as technical lead, owning the discovery, architecture design, delivery planning, and execution of complex projects, collaborating with other engineering teams and cross-functional peers across the organization.
- You have experience building SAAS products and operating services at scale.
- You are passionate about writing simple, maintainable, and tested code, and you take a balanced approach to product engineering, embracing pragmatism over perfection in your work.
- You are product-minded, meaning you have a strong interest in the product itself. You understand how customers use Buffer and why decisions are made. You empathize with customer needs and are passionate about creating delightful customer experiences.
- You have strong communication and collaboration skills and enjoy sharing knowledge with your teammates.
- We value the depth and quality of your experience over counting years. That said, successful applicants typically have 5+ years of development experience.
Perks and Benefits
💰 Competitive salary: Our salary formula adjusts to your cost of living and experience. For this role, the range is $147,826 - $191,071 USD.
🏝 Work remotely: Live and work wherever you are the happiest and most productive!
🗓 4-Day workweeks: Our schedule is four workdays, with a flexible, meeting-free fifth day for overflow tasks or personal time as you see fit.
💪 Health insurance: We offer health insurance for all of our team members, international or US.
💻 Home office setup: Get a laptop + $1000 to set up your home office!
⛺️ Minimum vacation: We ask teammates to take at least 3 weeks per year.
👓 'Growth mindset' fund: Extra money each year for learning and development.
💵 Savings plan: With 3% company match.
📈 Profit sharing: When the company does well, all team members share the profits.
🍼 Family leave: 16 weeks of family leave for all new parents, fully paid.
*� Family support fund: A stipend for each kiddo.
📚 Unlimited Free books: Get a free Kindle and all the free books you like - digital, physical, and audio - no questions asked.
⛱ Sabbaticals: Take a 6-week break, fully paid, after every 5 years with Buffer.
Apply for the job
Do you believe you're a fit for this role and want to join the Buffer team? We'd love to hear from you. Here's what the hiring process will look like:
- Apply to join the team through the form below. You'll hear from us a few weeks after submitting your application.
- Interview with Raf - Engineering Manager
- Take-home exercise to evaluate frontend engineering skillset.
- Technical Interview with Kateryna - Engineering Manager and Arek or Jose - Engineers from the Channels team
- Team Interview with Amanda - PM and Sofía - Designer
- Leadership Interview with Mike - Director of Engineering
- Meet our Founder and CEO, Joel
At Buffer, we value diversity of experience, and we understand that comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team. So, if your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
Buffer's mission is to provide essential tools to help small businesses get off the ground and grow. Through exceptional customer service and uplifting content, we help businesses believe they can succeed and do good along the way.Our website