Senior Software Engineer @ Dockwa
Hi! We’re The Wanderlust Group an outdoor technology company comprised of Dockwa, Marinas.com and Campouts.com. Put simply, we believe the world would be a better place if people were able to spend more time outdoors connected to nature and each other. We build technology to make those experiences more accessible, affordable and enjoyable for all backgrounds.
At The Wanderlust Group, you’ll be an integral part of a small team, able to make an immediate impact and work alongside some of the most talented and dynamic people anywhere. We believe that a great culture enables great teams to do incredible things.
We are searching for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Engineering team to build a marketplace booking platform for marinas and boaters, and campgrounds and campers.
A bit about us:
- We are predominantly a Ruby/Rails & React shop and we <3 Postgres! We also use Sidekiq, Rspec, Swift for iOS, Kotlin for Android, Git, Heroku, AWS, and Stripe to name a few
- We work on some slick UIs with extremely talented designers!
- We are fully remote!
- We have a progressive view on work-life balance because we also want to be outside!
- We are just over 65 employees, 12 of us are engineers, and kicking off a big hiring effort in product & engineering!
- Our engineering page with some open source projects we've made https://engineering.dockwa.com/
Successful candidates typically have at least 4 years of professional experience and are strong in at least 4 of these areas:
- Professional experience in developing web applications using at least one popular web framework, such as MVC, Rails experience is a plus
- Knowledge of object-oriented programming, separation of concerns, API design, and other code design patterns
- Knowledge of relational databases, Postgres experience is a plus
- Experience with production system monitoring and observability
- Knowledge of testing, profiling, and debugging practices
- Ability to learn and think critically about both system design and software engineering concepts and blend those perspectives based on project needs
- Close familiarity with software engineering methodologies and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including linters, code reviews, continuous integration and deployment
- Seeks ways to mentor and help their peers grow, strives to maintain a healthy team culture of continuous learning and collaboration
Potential projects: handling synchronous editing, building out shared back-end services for our different platforms and verticals, and using different strategies to make financial data highly available
Other reasons to join:
- You'll work on a supportive team of empathetic humans.
- You'll be on a fully remote team that can accommodate flexible start and end times due to working styles, family needs, or timezone differences.
- You'll have a 4 day work week!
- You'll work on an ever-modernizing stack and encouraged to spend time to invest in best practices - we want the codebase to scale and be fun to work in.
- You'll receive a competitive salary, stock options, and up to 3% matching 401k.
- You'll have untracked vacation time - that you will be encouraged to use.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work with a small group of engineers to have great impact. The best practices we set in motion now will be massively important as we scale our systems to meet the impressive growth we see today. If you meet all the qualifications, please apply! But we know how rare it is to hit all the bullets, so if you have a track record of caring deeply about shipping software that helps people, we want to hear from you.
The Wanderlust Group is a unique company. Because we believe in the value of putting screens down and getting outside, the entire company practices offline Mondays. Spend your Mondays hiking, thinking, reading, sailing. It doesn’t matter as long as you’re not emailing or in meetings. We also care a lot about the marinas and campgrounds we serve. They are often small businesses playing an important role in the local economy around them. That dedication carries through our work. Finally, because we are wanderers at heart, this position is open to remote candidates.