Senior Market Risk Analyst
Flexibility is vital to success in our business and many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time, 4 days @ 80% salary and compressed hours. Don't let anything stop you from applying.
Posted 1 month ago
The future of energy is digitised, decarbonised and localised. At Smartest Energy, we need revolutionary thinkers to help our customers make the most of this new landscape, thinking differently to find smart solutions to complex problems.
Formed in 2001, we’re an agile business driven by entrepreneurial thinking. As a subsidiary of the Marubeni Corporation, we also have strong investment and infrastructure behind us. We have three offices in the UK, one in the US and another in Australia. Further expansion is planned for 2022 and beyond which means global career opportunities for you, with plenty of potential to explore new markets.
Flexibility is vital to success in our business and many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time, compressed hours, remotely or a mix of remote/office. Please talk to us about what flexibility means to you and don’t let anything stop you from applying.
When you join our Team, you will have the opportunity to contribute and make an impact every single day.
You will acts as a subject matter expert on market risk within the Market Risk Team, managing responses for the wider business and providing solutions for immediate or complicated risk topics and measurements.
In this role, you will be involved with the following:
- Perform detailed risk assessment and investigations into complex opportunities and topics, and identify suitable solutions;
- Create proposals and present to management and/or risk management committee for approval, implement approved solutions, maintain or hand over solutions with appropriate documentation;
- Participate in and chair meetings on various risk related issues and company projects. Represent team and department across the business, liaising with other department members where appropriate;
- Monitor and report on the various traded and non-traded positions held by the company and monitor and report on the risk limits as detailed in the Risk Management Policy;
- Develop new risk reporting and analysis templates for new business requirements, perform (back-)testing, create documentation and cross train other members of the team on risk-related topics;
- Understand and conduct risk activities other than the main focus and provide cover for the other members of Market Risk team;
- Reporting is distributed accurately and on time, new reporting processes are created, processes are continually streamlined through automation and enhancement;
- Project work and development of new solutions is completed to a high standard with minimal supervision.
To be successful in this position, you are likely to have the following skills/experience:
- Minimum 2-3 years energy experience in a Pricing/ Trading/ Risk role;
- Very strong Excel (lookups, pivot tables), including VBA;
- SQL and SSIS experience;
- VaR and risk control frameworks;
- Supporting and developing junior colleagues;
- Involvement in cross-department projects;
- ETRM experience;
- Knowledge of GB Power trading (products, market, etc.) essential;
- Knowledge of standard risk topics (volatility, correlation, VaR) required;
- Strong independent problem solving skill;
- Very strong attention to detail, accuracy and completeness;
- Strong communication skills with confidence to challenge traders;
- Able to coordinate and prioritise own work, requesting input from other stakeholders as appropriate.
What else do we offer?
- The opportunity to work from anywhere in the word for 30 days per year;
- A genuine commitment to smarter working – we recognise your work/life balance matters;
- Paid time off to volunteer in your community;
- Excellent benefits package including private medical insurance/dental cover and non-contributory pension from month three;
Celebrating our inclusive and diverse culture is core to what we do. We value everybody irrespective of background, disability, religion, gender identity, sexuality or ethnicity.
We know that for our business to thrive we need diverse talent with a range of backgrounds, skills and capabilities in each of the countries in which we operate. We view diversity as one of the key enablers that helps our business to grow.