Only considering candidates who are eligible to work in the UK ⚠️
Kickstarter, PBC is seeking an experienced Senior Counsel.
The salary range for the role in the United States is $180,000 - $210,000.
As a member of the Legal team you are responsible for contributing to the efficient and effective administration of the legal affairs and functions of Kickstarter, providing proactive, professional, timely, and useful business-forward advice in a manner designed to balance and mitigate risk while assisting in the achievement of Kickstarters’ public benefit charter and long-term strategy. Your primary focus is providing sound legal advice and guidance on a wide range of commercial and contractual matters. Your primary responsibilities will include drafting, reviewing and negotiating complex commercial and partnership agreements, assessing potential risks, and ensuring compliance with relevant laws and regulations. You will collaborate closely with internal stakeholders, including senior managers and function leads, the Creator and Backer Success and the Trust & Safety teams, and various departments, to support commercial objectives while managing risks to the Company.
- J.D. from a U.S. law school with a strong academic record; U.S. state bar admission and in good standing (ideally where you reside)
- 10+ years of relevant legal experience, both in private practice and in-house in a corporate legal department.
- Proactive and solutions-driven with demonstrated experience with networking technology and two-sided marketplaces
- Familiarity with intellectual property, privacy, employment law, and general corporate compliance in an e-commerce environment
- Exposure and knowledge of U.S. and worldwide data privacy laws relevant to Kickstarter’s business such as CPRA, CCPA, GDPR and similar regulatory frameworks
- Experience reviewing and negotiating complex vendor agreements with a focus on sharing and exchange of information with Kickstarter’s service providers
- Demonstrated ability to deconstruct and decipher complicated laws and regulations and translate them into actionable, compliant, easy-to-understand policies in collaboration with internal stakeholders
- Ability to communicate effectively and succinctly with stakeholders across the company on multifaceted issues and complex legal issues
- Has a good grasp on real-world business scenarios and able to provide legal advice on which internal clients can operationalize
- High organizational skills, able to multitask and juggle many projects at any given time
- Demonstrated ability to make difficult and sound decisions in support of business needs in the face of ambiguity
Essential functions/job duties:
- You will work with stakeholders at all levels, including the Business and Operations team, the Creator and Backer Success team, and the Trust & Safety team
- You will use your in-depth experience in drafting and negotiating a wide range of agreements in the review and crafting of vendor agreements, partnership agreements with our outreach organization, professional services, and consulting relationships
- Proactively identify compliance-related issues related to existing and new lines of business
- Participate in cross-functional teams to provide legal support and guidance on various business initiatives, product launches, and strategic partnerships
- Proactively perform issue spotting and effectively counsel clients in new businesses and go-to-market programs
- Provide programmatic advice to business leaders and corporate staff on legal risks associated with partnerships, agreements and related transactions
- Support continuous improvement of standard form agreements, policies, and legal processes related to commercial transactions
What You'll Enjoy
- A fully remote workforce with plenty of opportunities to get to know your colleagues
- 100% employer-paid health plan offerings
- 16 paid vacation days, 10 sick days, and a company-wide winter break between Christmas and New Years
- 25 volunteer hours each year to give back to your community
- 16 weeks of parental leave plus fertility/family planning resources
- A 4-day/32-hour workweek! Kickstarter is currently experimenting with one so that we can all enjoy long weekends
- Incredibly talented and inspiring colleagues who know how to blend their creative endeavors into their work
You can read more about our benefits and working at Kickstarter at our Jobs page: https://jobs.kickstarter.com/
Our Fully Virtual Team
We’re currently able to support employees based in the following US locations: CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, MA, MD, NC, NJ, NY, OR, VA, and WA. We're also able to support employees in the United Kingdom and Canada (Ontario & British Columbia). If you live in—or are willing to move to—any of these locations, we look forward to your application! If there is a required or preferred location for an open role, it will be listed in the job description.
Kickstarter is an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to fight for equality, we work to ensure a fair and consistent interview process. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive work environment.
Kickstarter is a Public Benefit Corporation, and our mission is to help bring creative projects to life. We measure our success as a company by how well we achieve that mission, not by the size of our profits. In our charter, we spell out our mission, our values, and the commitments we have made to pursue them.