Senior Character Artist
In 2022, we announced that our studio is implementing a four-day work week (32hrs) as well as supporting in-studio, remote, and hybrid work arrangements as permanent options to our employees.
Posted 2 weeks ago
Blackbird Interactive is a creative-fueled, future-driven, independent game studio where the best talent in the industry can find long-term careers to help grow their abilities while working on a wide range of projects, which encompass world-class IPs as well as our own creations across multiple genres.
In 2022, we announced that our studio is implementing a four-day work week as well as supporting in-studio, remote within Canada, and hybrid work arrangements as permanent options to our employees.
Blackbird Interactive is looking for a Senior 3D Character artist to join our team. You'll primarily produce DLC content in the form of modeling and texturing characters, mounts and skins for the latest Minecraft game, Minecraft: Legends. If you like bringing new characters to life, and extending the enjoyment of older content, this position is for you!
- Create 3D character models, and PBR texture maps, to match concepts, art direction and design
- Works closely with concept artists to keep quality and style consistent across all character and skin assets
- Adapt work methods to the project pipeline to meet technical constraints
- Stay up to date on best practices in the video game industry, work to integrate them into the project
- Work on tasks with clear direction, with and without supervision
- 5+ years of gameplay development
- Experienced with Photoshop
- Thorough knowledge and proficiency with Maya
- Knowledge of game art asset implementation
- Understanding of creating textures for a PBR lighting model
- Proven capability to work on multidisciplinary project teams, able to handle changing priorities throughout a product life cycle
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Experience playing modern RTS games such as Starcraft and Company of Heroes, as well as MOBAs like League of Legends.
- Demonstrated passion for entertainment products / media (i.e. comics, movies, novels, etc.)
- Knowledgeable of Substance Designer and Painter
- 2D painting skills and/or Pixel art experience
Vacation & Extras
+ 4-day, 32-hour work week for all full-time staff
+ Mentorship program
+ Skunkworks internal game jam program
+ 4 weeks paid vacation per year
+ 11 paid stat holidays
+ 3 paid days per year for professional development
+ December holiday studio closure (extra paid time off!)
+ Comprehensive health/dental benefits from day 1
+ Life insurance
+ $300 Healthcare Spending Account per annum
+ RRSP matching up to $1500
+ Profit-sharing bonus program
If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
Any questions about the role and/or accessibility requests can be sent to: [email protected]
Unfortunately, we cannot reply to everyone. Only successful applicants will be contacted about the next steps. Thank you for your understanding.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to inclusion and especially encourage members of historically marginalized communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on gender, race, national and ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Blackbird Interactive is privileged to be developing our projects on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish) and səl̓ílwətaʔɬ /Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.