Only considering candidates who are eligible to work in the UK ⚠️
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge!
Tech is at the heart of everything we do here at Atom. We’ve rebuilt the bank, from our app to our banking platform, to make sure it’s native and cloud-based. Thanks to this approach, we can develop new products and ship updates to customers rapidly.
We have very little legacy, but that doesn’t stop us looking for ways to improve. For instance, we are already exploring ways to improve some services we transitioned to the cloud very recently. Quickness and efficiency are always a priority, but we never compromise on security, usability, or reliability getting there. Could you be the next innovator to join us?
Want to join us?
As a Principal Engineer at Atom bank, you’ll be embedded into one of our product aligned Value Streams. You’ll collaborate with Solution & Technical Architects, Business Analysts, Software Engineers and Testers to deliver change for your Value Stream.
This role spans across multiple projects and technology, across frontend tech including ReactJS, Swift iOS & Kotlin to backend tech such as Golang, Python and Java. You’ll be tasked with driving forward positive change and innovation in how we are currently developing software within Atom Engineering across Value Streams, coaching the team to ensure the correct technical decisions are taken with consideration for now and the future.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no two days the same in Atom):
- Provide technical guidance to development teams and oversee the technical aspects of all platforms within your Value Stream.
- Be responsible for providing technical steer for design and ensuring associated artefacts are documented to agreed standards.
- Design and develop data models/structures and API contracts, data transforms& algorithms.
- Ensure and developed components have the appropriate level of quality and governance (version control, documentation, unit testing).
- Resolve QA defects by working closely with the relevant teams.
- Work with Product Managers to iteratively improve the solution and hone the data outputs.
- Work closely with third parties to facilitate integration and smoke testing.
- Recommend new technologies that help increase productivity, improve end user experience and/or reduce total cost of ownership.
What do we need from you?
- A strong background in Software Engineering with a good understanding of multiple programming languages in both Frontend and Backend Development.
- Considerable understanding of APIs & API structures.
- Experience of Microservice Architecture.
- Experience of developing & running application on public cloud GCP, AWS or Azure .
- Technical Solution Design and Technical Documentation experience.
- Significant experience working in an Agile/DevOps environment.
- Experience of using CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, and of containerisation (Docker/Kubernetes).
- Logical approach, adaptability, and ability to think outside the box during problem solving.
What you’ll get from us:
- Flexible Hybrid & Remote working
- 4-day work week
- Annual Share Option – performance-related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 22.5 days annual leave plus public holidays
- Private Medical Insurance for you and your full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom is unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
Atom is an equal opportunities employer. We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
As part of Atom bank’s commitment to the FCA’s Consumer Duty, Atom will, take all reasonable steps to avoid causing foreseeable harm to customers, take all reasonable steps to enable customers to pursue their financial objectives and act in good faith.