Only considering candidates who are eligible to work in the USA ⚠️
Kickstarter is the go-to crowdfunding platform for creative projects across everything from film, games and music to art, design, and technology. Fueled by the support of our team, our mission to help bring creative projects to life has been a core tenet since our inception in 2009.
To date, we have helped more than 249,000 creative projects reach their funding goal with pledges totalling more than $7.6 billion dollars. We continue to be committed to the growth and success of not only our community, but our team as well. Rooted in shared values, Kickstarter sees team members as whole people, giving every individual the autonomy and space to participate in decisions that impact them.
Kickstarter is seeking an experienced People Business Partner to join our People team. In this role, you will work directly with the VP of People, and alongside the People, Finance, and Legal team to drive an improved employee and manager experience.
This role will play a critical role in defining and shaping our people programs, performance management process, employee relations, and problem solving to enhance the employee experience. We are seeking someone who is passionate, dynamic, decisive, has an opinion and always veers on the side of doing the right thing. In this role you will support 20+ managers across our business.
The salary range for this role in the United States is $115,000 to $130,000.
Please note that we are only considering U.S-based candidates for this role.
In this role, you will:
- Act as an advisor to our management team to ensure the team’s and business needs are met. Your primary focus will include people program management, change management, and building work streams that support the future goals and needs of our business.
- Develop and implement HR strategies and programs aligned with the overall business strategy and department goals.
- Advise and support employee training, employee development, probations, performance improvement plans and other related matters.
- Understand employee opinions and experiences; provide a point of view and anticipate needs so we can address concerns proactively and focus on solutions to better the employee experience.
- Support the overall business strategy by helping to identify, prioritize, and build organizational capabilities, behaviors, structures and processes.
- Support or lead People projects including, but not limited to management training, our DEI program, mentorship program and our culture committee.
- Coach managers and team members on how best to use our people tools (Lattice, CultureAmp, etc.)
- End to end management of our performance review cycle.
- Manage the rollout of Management Training across our management group.
- Build self-service tools and resources for our team members including manager and remote work playbooks, onboarding outlines, transition plan templates, etc.
- Conduct all exit interviews and 30-60-90 day checks-ins and create a feedback loop with managers that provides actionable insights and productive follow up.
- Partner on ad-hoc People team initiatives & projects as identified, including but not limited to people operations, recruiting, employee experience, and union related processes.
- Support organizational culture activities including activities that promote driving connection in the remote workforce.
- Manage employee disciplinary issues and provide advice to our managers on ways to manage each case, including but not limited to bargaining unit members and management.
- Support the VP of People in all employee relations matters.
- Support the business in communications with the union.
- You have at least 5 years of professional experience as an HR business partner at a tech or entertainment company, ideally for a fully-remote company. Experience working in a unionized environment is a plus. Experience working with global teams is a plus.
- You have extensive prior experience holding managers and team members accountable to outcomes and standards set by the people and leadership team.
- You are proficient in Google Suite, MS Suite, and other technology platform tools; you must have Excel proficiency.
- You are resourceful, analytical and able to work in a high paced environment with a strong sense of urgency with a ''let’s'' / ''can do'' attitude.
- You have excellent people management skills, with the ability to train, oversee, coach, and mentor remotely. Experience working in a leadership role is a plus.
- You are self-motivated, detail-oriented, diligent, responsive, responsible, accountable, and resilient.
- You have prior experience managing performance review cycles for an organization.
- You’re skilled at maintaining a high level of confidentiality and discretion. This role requires regular involvement in confidential employee and company matters.
- You have strong experience navigating employee relations investigations with empathy and a calm demeanor and are able to set and define strategy to address matters.
- Strong project management experience is a plus.
- You have a strong understanding of various employment laws and their impact on HR/People matters and the desire to stay up to date on the latest HR/People trends and legislation.
- You are curious, not afraid to ask questions or challenge the way we do things.
- You have strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- You empathize with creators and recognize the challenges of the creative process and bringing projects to life.
What You'll Enjoy
- A fully remote workforce with plenty of opportunities to get to know your colleagues
- 100% employer-paid health plan offerings
- 16 paid vacation days, 10 sick days, and a company-wide winter break between Christmas and New Years
- 25 volunteer hours each year to give back to your community
- 16 weeks of parental leave plus fertility/family planning resources
- Kickstarter currently operates with a 4-day workweek, a model that aligns our belief in a healthy work-life balance and gives staff the space to be more than their work
- Incredibly talented and inspiring colleagues who know how to blend their creative endeavors into their work
You can read more about our benefits and working at Kickstarter at our Jobs page: https://jobs.kickstarter.com/
Our Fully Virtual Team
We’re currently able to support employees based in the following US locations: CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IL, MA, MD, NC, NJ, NY, OR, VA, and WA. We're also able to support employees in the United Kingdom and Canada (Ontario & British Columbia). If you live in—or are willing to move to—any of these locations, we look forward to your application! If there is a required or preferred location for an open role, it will be listed in the job description.
Kickstarter is an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to fight for equality, we work to ensure a fair and consistent interview process. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive work environment.
Reminder to applicants: Authentic communications from Kickstarter will always originate from official Kickstarter email domains (@kickstarter.com). Exercise caution and verify the legitimacy of anyone who claims to be representing Kickstarter on other platforms.
Please reach out to Kickstarter’s Help Center to report potentially fraudulent contact here: https://help.kickstarter.com/hc/en-us/requests/new