Only considering candidates who are eligible to work in India ⚠️
Ever wondered how it would be to revolutionise one of the least digitised industries in the market, alongside a growing and switched-on team? Read on!
We are Shape.Construction!
We are digitising the largest and most fundamental industry in the world, the industry that literally builds the foundations of the civilisation we all depend on to spare us from a brutal hunter-gatherer life: CONSTRUCTION
It is one of the least digitised industries in the world but also the largest – 1 in 9 people globally work in the construction industry and it constitutes 11% of global GDP.
Improving construction strengthens the very foundation of human civilisation. ( Watch our short film about it).
We got our start as a high-end construction project management consultancy. As a consultancy, we are focused on genuinely upgrading the way construction projects are delivered. We then take the deep understanding of the projects we work on to develop construction management software products that anyone can use to deliver their projects better.
We are building a full suite of products one module at a time – kind of like office 365 but for construction management. ( Check out Shape, our construction management tech and watch this video about what we are doing)
The core of all this is our true secret sauce; people. We only recruit the very best both in capability and personality. We are deeply focused on designing a new type of organisation that is optimised for the flourishing of the people in the team first and foremost. People that join us develop fast as a whole person in ways they never imagined. ( Read more about our vision and mission).
This approach has allowed us to grow from just 2 people in 2017 to over 160 today (including consultancy) and we are still very much at the beginning! Joining us isn’t just some “job”, it is a transformative educational experience. We challenge you to be your best self in all aspects of life.
4 core values for a good life
We believe a life of human flourishing is all about meaningful relationships with others and challenging yourself to create a positive impact. So our values reflect the 4 levels of relationships that each of us has:
- Grow yourself – Your relationship with yourself
- Care about people – Your relationship with others around you
- Execute to greatness – Your relationship with your team
- Build civilisation – Your relationship with humanity and the world
This goes much deeper but for the sake of brevity, we will keep the summary version!
We enshrined our values in our vision:
We exist so that everyone in our team can thrive in a high-impact community that:
- Connects us with meaningful relationships
- Inspires us to develop ourselves to become better humans
- Empowers us to pursue our own learning adventures
We believe that, by first doing this, we can achieve the highest levels of value for the world.
And enable the achievement of our vision through our dual missions:
- To fully digitise the construction of human civilisation
- To create a new type of organisation that enables human flourishing while delivering a huge positive impact on society
Purpose of the role
We seek a self-sufficient MLOps Engineer with a deep understanding and hands-on experience in deploying Large Language Models (LLMs) into production. This role requires an individual who can independently handle the complexities of LLMs, from fine-tuning to integration with existing systems, while closely collaborating with the product and engineering teams to ensure seamless implementation and optimisation.
Join a team of forward-thinking software engineers and product strategists. While you will be working autonomously on the deployment and management of LLMs, coordination with our Product Management and Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) teams will be essential for integrating these models into our broader platform.
Your top 3 objectives
- Effective Deployment of LLMs: Successfully deploy LLMs into production, ensuring they align with our business needs and human values.
- Optimise LLM Performance: Apply techniques such as reinforcement learning, instruction fine-tuning, and model optimization to enhance the performance and reliability of LLMs.
- Integrate LLMs into Applications: Seamlessly integrate LLMs with external applications, enabling them to contribute effectively to our suite of products.
Your top 5 responsibilities
- Collaborate Scope Definition: Engage with product team to define ML project use cases precisely, setting a clear direction for technical implementation.
- Lifecycle Management: Oversee the ML project lifecycle stages, including model selection, prompt engineering, fine-tuning, evaluation, and alignment with human feedback.
- Optimize and Deploy for Inference: Optimize LLMs for inference and deploy them into production, ensuring they meet the functional and performance criteria established during scoping.
- Enhance Applications with LLMs: Work within the software development team to tailor LLMs to our unique application requirements, ensuring that the models effectively power and enhance our products' functionality and user experience.
- Collaborate with the SRE Team: Work closely with the SRE team for the integration of LLMs into our cloud infrastructure, ensuring scalability and resilience.
As an MLOps Engineer focused on LLMs, you combine deep technical expertise with a proactive approach to problem-solving. You are adept at working independently yet understand the importance of aligning your work with broader team objectives.
Must-Have (The fundamentals)
- Expertise in LLM Deployment: Extensive experience in deploying and managing Large Language Models, including all aspects of fine-tuning and integration.
- Technical Proficiency: Strong skills in machine learning frameworks, cloud computing, and interacting with external applications.
- Independent Problem-Solver: Ability to tackle challenges autonomously, applying innovative solutions to complex problems.
- Continuous Learner: Commitment to staying abreast of the latest developments in LLMs and MLOps.
Nice to Have (If you don’t have it now you will after joining)
- Advance Model Optimization Skills: Knowledge of advance model fine-tuning and optimization techniques.
- Collaborative Approach: While working autonomously, the ability to effectively coordinate with other teams, like SRE, for seamless integration.
- Community Engagement: Active participation in relevant tech communities to bring in new insights and best practices.
Shape isn’t the place for you if any of the following is true:
- You want an easy, chilled-out role without much challenge
- You like to be the smartest person in the room
- You don’t like continuously receiving honest candid feedback
- You prefer to do your own thing rather than work with a team
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you tell me more about what the role is like?
We are in scale up mode so it will be a pretty full on role with more things to do than time available. This is why it will be important to prioritise and also develop capacity in the team by hiring and holding the team to the highest standards. We don’t like to mess about so you will need to be a very high performer who only wants to work with others of your ilk.
We are growing rapidly so that means you role will grow rapidly too, you will need to keep up and constantly be looking 1-2 years ahead.
Where would I be working?
All of our roles are 100% remote and home-based. However, if you would like to work in a co-work space to get out of the house we can arrange that. If you are in one of our locations with offices you can come as often as you like.
Salary and Benefits
- Paid Annual Leave 25 days + statutory Bank Holidays
- Flexible hours
- Compensation for this role depends on your capability level and will likely fall in the INR 13,495,125 to 38,957,625 annual range.
The Life-Changing Stuff
- 4 Day Weeks: That’s right, 4 day weeks
- Grow your whole self: Our leaders are more like coaches and one of our main objectives is to give 5 years’ worth of learning and development for every 1 year with us. You have a coach, mentor, well-being therapist and a development-orientated environment: That’s literally what our vision is all about and the primary reason Shape exists
- Be surrounded by the best: We only hire and retain the very best people. You might be used to being the smartest in the room but that won’t be the case in Shape. You will be surrounded by people you can learn from. We are 100% meritocratic so fast progression is the norm. You will be supported to excel in whichever areas you are most interested in! With Shape, development is unbounded
- Long-term impact: We are focused on solving the biggest issues in construction project delivery in a way that can spread and outlast us
- A generous equity scheme: as a fast-growing consultancy as well as the fact we are building software this has a huge upside, particularly for people that stay with us through our growth
Applying properly!! Important!!!
We get thousands of applications so please write us a letter as part of your application explaining:
- Why do you want to join us?
- What do you think you bring to the team?
We aren't a giant faceless corporation; we really care about the people who want to join our team so all letters will be read thoroughly.
After that, we will reach out to you to schedule a casual conversation to help you to know us a bit better and tell us a bit about yourself.
After that, we will schedule a couple of technical and personal assessments to understand what your level of capability is based on our own development matrix. This is to ensure that when you join you are starting at the right level of responsibility based on your capability not just based on experience.