Only considering candidates who are eligible to work in Lancaster, USA ⚠️
thredUP is transforming resale with technology and a mission to inspire a new generation of consumers to think secondhand first. By making it easy to buy and sell secondhand, thredUP has become one of the world’s largest resale platforms for women’s and kids’ apparel, shoes and accessories. Sellers love thredUP because we make it easy to clean out their closets and unlock value for themselves or for the charity of their choice while doing good for the planet. Buyers love shopping value, premium and luxury brands all in one place, at up to 90% off estimated retail price. Our proprietary operating platform is the foundation for our managed marketplace and consists of distributed processing infrastructure, proprietary software and systems and data science expertise. In 2018, we extended our platform with thredUP’s Resale-As-A-Service (RaaS Ⓡ), which facilitates modern resale for a number of the world’s leading brands and retailers. thredUP has processed over 125 million unique secondhand items from 35,000 brands across 100 categories. By extending the life cycle of clothing, thredUP is changing the way consumers shop and ushering in a more sustainable future for the fashion industry.
How You Will Make An Impact
At thredUP, we are processing unique secondhand clothing at unparalleled volumes and looking for an experienced Mechanical Design Engineer to support our rapidly growing operation. You will be responsible for designing, developing, modifying, and integrating computer-controlled electronic and mechanical systems for the automation of industrial tasks and enhancement of processing or production equipment.
In this position, you will have the opportunity to visit our distribution network to work with the local Industrial Engineering staff and review existing automation systems. This position requires a unique thought process to develop solutions for many different material handling challenges. The position is based in our Lancaster, TX facility but will require light travel to our distribution network with locations in Pennsylvania, Arizona, and Georgia.
In This Role You’ll Get To:
- Analyze current operation deficiencies and develop countermeasures
- Explore new technologies that will improve current operations, efficiency and customer experience
- Plan projects by driving overall scope including mechanical, electrical and controls documentation
- Explore and learn existing internal data required to troubleshoot operations issues and improvement opportunities
- Manage equipment suppliers and installation contractors
- Develop presentations for ROI analysis for project justification
- Create implementation plans for all disciplines of the project from ROI to implementation
- Design and implement warehouse and process automation layouts to support business direction
- Collaborate and communicate cross-functionally with other departments to develop solutions
What We’re Looking For:
- Minimum 3 years of Mechanical System Design experience
- Electrical Engineering experience is a plus
- Strong CAD skills in both 2D and 3D applications
- Comfortable with Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, and Slides, and learning new databases
- Strong background in mechanical, electrical designs
- Experience with automated material handling systems preferred
- Ability to work quickly with minimal supervision
- Crossfunctional & transparent communication skills
- Available for up to 25% travel to other ThredUP distribution centers
- If you don’t like spending your days in a cubicle, this is the perfect position for you. As part of the Automation Team you will be expected to work in dynamic environments, bend down, reach overhead, lift/carry up to 30lbs and push/pull up to 150lbs.
What We Offer:
- 4-day work week, with Fridays off
- Hybrid work environment: 3 days in the office and 1 day remote each week
- Competitive salary (we leverage market data)
- Many thredUP employees also have the opportunity to own shares of thredUP stock and are eligible for discretionary restricted stock unit awards
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Flexible PTO (take the time you need) + 13 company holidays
- Paid Sabbatical after 3 years of full time employment
- Generous paid parental leave for new mothers and fathers
- Medical, dental, vision, 401k, life and disability insurance offered
- We live by our Core Values of Transparency, SpeakingUP, Thinking Big, Infinite Learning, Influencing Outcomes & Seeking the Truth
- RaaS - Inc. Magazine, 2022 Power Partner Awards
- Thrift the Look– TIME Magazine, The Best Inventions of 2022
- Winner of Lattice's “People Vision” - recognizing thredUP as a top place to work for our investment in professional development and our innovations in work-life integration
We believe diversity, inclusion and belonging is key for our team
At thredUP, our mission has been built on extending the lives of millions of unique clothing items. Much like our inventory, we are proud to have fostered a workplace that is one-of-a-kind. As a company focused on diversity, inclusion and belonging, we are committed to ensuring our employees are comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work every day. A unique perspective is critical to solving complex problems and inspiring a new generation to think secondhand first. Be you.
If you are a candidate with a disability and have a reasonable accommodation request for the job application process, please email [email protected] the specific details of your disability related accommodation request. This email address is reserved for candidates with disabilities only. General application inquiries will not receive a response.