Lead Product Designer @ Buffer
Buffer is a platform of social media products made for small businesses. We help our customers stand out online and drive meaningful engagement and measurable results for their brand and bottom line. Our mission is to provide essential tools to help small businesses get off the ground and grow. Through exceptional customer service and uplifting content, we help companies believe they can succeed and do good along the way.
Our Culture and Values
Clear communication, transparency, open-mindedness, empathy, and patience are just a few of Buffer's cultural values. We are looking for a person who understands this culture and will thrive within a team of people passionate about self-improvement, honesty, and openness. Here's a guide on how we strive to communicate with customers.
Working at Buffer is collaborative effort built on the foundation of our core values. We try to be “No Ego Doers” who are aware of our assumptions, and joining us means you'll work together with the team in order to test and confirm our ideas. In our career framework, we choose to focus on the journey, the growth, and evolution that is a career.
We're cultivating a unique and robust culture, and building a different type of company that’s focused not only on the bottom line, but also the happiness and personal growth of our customers and team along the journey.
Where You'll Work
Buffer is a fully distributed team, which means that we’re spread across the planet. We have Bufferoos in 15 countries, 11 timezones, and 42 cities around the world to build a great culture and product.
Our mission is to provide essential tools to help small businesses get off the ground and grow.
To help our customers succeed, we’ve built a social media management platform that brings together simple and intuitive scheduling, analytics, and engagement tools all in one place. We’ve recently begun to expand outside of social media as well with Start Page.
Buffer is also a leader in the future of work movement. We continue to champion transparent salaries to improve pay equity; we’re sharing everything we know about building a fully remote company so others can do the same; and most recently we’ve led the charge on 4-day work weeks!
By bringing together a great product experience, exceptional customer service, and uplifting content, we believe we can help other small businesses succeed and do good along the way.
Join us in designing great products and shaping the future of work!
More about the role
We’re looking experiencedProduct Designers to help us iterate and improve upon the foundation we’ve built as well as help imagine what’s next.
In this role you’ll have broad impact as you work across product teams to help us refine and improve existing workflows and features with our scheduling, analytics, and engagement tools across desktop and mobile. Beyond these core offerings, you’ll also explore, prototype, and bring to life entirely new interfaces and experiences – both inside and outside of social media – to better help small businesses get off the ground and grow.
To be successful in this role you’ll need strong collaboration skills, a bias toward action, and a desire to deliver value to customers that strikes a balance between their needs and our business objectives. You’ll do this by working closing with Product and Engineering to research, shape, validate, ship, and iterate on new and existing features continuously.
Day to day you’ll collaborate directly with product managers, engineers, product marketers, data scientists, and other designers. You’ll also work closely withour Customer Advocacy(support) and Marketing teams.
What you’ll do
- Work closely with product and engineering leaders, product managers, engineers, and other designers to actively scope and shape potential product solutions.
- Use prototypes and other lean design thinking tools to inform your solutions.
- Solve for customer problems at scale, using a mix of research, customer interviews, qualitative and quantitative product data, and your own intuition.
- Design well-crafted experiences that balance form, function, and business goals.
- Help shape, contribute to, and improve our ever evolving design system.
- Support our Product, Engineering, and Advocacy(support) teams throughout the discovery, definition, and delivery product phases.
- Proactively seek and share feedback to help improve the overall quality of our products, our design thinking, and team culture.
- Be the voice of our customers and advocate for their needs and abilities.
Helpful skills and experience
- A well-rounded portfolio that demonstrates screen design fundamentals including user flows, interfaces, prototypes, systems thinking, use of data, and a clear understanding of interaction design.
- A solid grasp of visual design fundamentals including composition, hierarchy, typography, and color.
- Clear and concise written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong storytelling and presentation skills with the ability to influence and inspire different audiences and at different levels(including peers, and leaders).
- Effective stakeholder management skills and cross-functional collaboration and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize feedback from multiple sources(customers, data, stakeholders, peers, etc) and successfully chart a path forward.
- Previous hands-on experience working on a web and/or mobile software product throughout the entire lifecycle(discover, design, ship, and iterate).
- Fun fact: we use Figma(and Figjam!) at Buffer
What We Value
Clear communication, transparency, open-mindedness, empathy and patience are just a few of Buffer's cultural values. We are looking for a person who understands this culture and will thrive within a team of people passionate about self-improvement, honesty and openness. Here's a guide on how we strive to communicate with customers.
Working at Buffer is collaborative and positive thanks to our core values. We try to be “No Ego Doers” who are aware of our assumptions, and joining us means you'll work together with the team in order to test and confirm our ideas. In our career framework, we choose to focus on the journey, the growth and evolution that is a career.
Perks and Benefits
We hope that you're excited by the possibilities that come with working at Buffer! In addition to our unique culture, we also offer these fun perks and benefits.
💰 Competitive salary: Our salary formula adjusts to your cost of living and experience. For this role, the range is: $145K–166K USD.
🏝 Work remotely: Live and work wherever you like!
💪 Health insurance: We offer health insurance for all of our team members, international or US.
💻 Home office setup: Get a laptop + $500 to set up your home office!
👓 'Growth mindset' fund: Extra money for learning and development.
⛺️ Minimum vacation: At least 3 weeks/year!
🤑 401(k): With 3% company match.
📈 Profit sharing: When the company does well, all team members share the profits!
🍼 Family leave: 3 months of family leave for all parents, and more is possible.
✈️ Retreats: Join us for company get-togethers twice per year! Our next retreat is in Greece. (These are on pause for now.)
☕️ Working smarter stipend: Get some extra cash for a co-working space or a coffee shop work.
📚 Free books and Kindle: Get a free Kindle and all the free books - digital, physical, and audio - you like, anytime.
⛱ Sabbaticals: Take a 6-week break, fully paid, after every 5 years with Buffer.
Where You'll Work
Buffer is a fully distributed team, which means that we’re spread across the planet. We have Bufferoos in 15 countries, 11 timezones and 42 cities around the world to build a great culture and product.
For this position, we'd strongly prefer a candidate in North or South America timezones.
Here's our (general) hiring process:
Stage 1: Apply to join the team through the form below. If you don't hear from us for the first week or two after submitting your application, don't be alarmed. :)
Stage 2: Values Interview
Stage 3: Hiring Manager Interview
Stage 4: Role or Team Interview
Stage 5: VP Interview