Engineers are the functional soul of our team, tasked with transforming creative concepts into production realities for our clients, ourselves, and the open source community.
Our engineers rarely specialize exclusively in one tech stack, preferring to keep an open mind and a diverse skill set in order to deliver optimal solutions for the problem at hand. Their responsibilities don’t end with code, as we believe communication, collaboration, and good judgement are as important to our work as raw programming skills. This role is a first for us, and in it you’ll provide oversight for a diverse array of complex projects where mobile is a priority.
The Lead Engineer, Mobile Focus will have specialized knowledge and experience in iOS and Android platforms and possess a proven awareness of instructional strategies for mobile development. This position requires strong leadership and an ability to bring structure to complex problems across multiple platforms. The most successful person in this role will be one who can influence team execution across multiple platforms, and across function.
A few recent projects we missed you on:
- Deep experience in one native platform(iOS or Android)
- Willingness to learn and support web projects using technologies ranging from React to WordPress
- Write clean, well-documented, and well-tested code using the latest idioms and best practices for each language/framework
- Collaborate with Upstatement’s engineers, product and strategy thinkers, and designers to ensure we quickly ship and iterate on high-quality products
- Mentor and coach members of the team through pair-programming and code review
- Stay up to date with industry trends and advise the team on best practices to implement
- Collaborate with Business Development to identify and win new opportunities for mobile development.
Bonus Points If…
- Experience in more than one native platform/language
- Experience with cross-platform technologies such as React Native, Flutter, and NativeScript
- DevOps experience
More About You
- Code. High quality, clean, and readable front-end/back-end code developed in concert with design and delivered on time.
- Quality. Engineers are accountable for the overall quality of our production deliverables – code, infrastructure, and documentation.
- Communication. Clear and concise written and oral communication, both internally and with our clients and tech partners.
- Collaboration. We’re not just the last stop in a production pipeline; our engineers contribute critical thinking at every phase of the project life cycle.
- Research & Solution Architecture. You’ll work alongside creative directors to lead the research and selection of technical solutions to fulfill business requirements.
- Leadership. Help strengthen our team by passing on your craftsmanship through close collaboration, knowledge shares, and mentorship.
- A full-stack shop doing large and technically ambitious projects
- Champions of resourceful engineers and best practices
- Inspired by the bleeding edge, yet pragmatic and tool agnostic
- Open Source advocates and contributors
- Pavers of individual growth paths(for makers and managers!)
- Supporters of ambition and career development
About the Department
Check out our Engineers page to learn a bit more about the technology department, read some blog posts, and figure out what makes our engineers tick, and check out Key Values, who we’ve teamed up with to share more on our engineering ethos and guiding principles.
- Salaryrange commensurate with experience ($150,000-$170,000)
- Health, dental, and vision insurance, and supplementary health benefits(FSA, IVF coverage, TalkSpace)
- A company-matched retirement plan
- $1,000 home office setup stipend
- $1,500 annual professional development budget
- Short/long term disability insurance
- 3 weeks vacation to start, plus company-wide closure between Christmas & New Year’s Day(fully paid)
- 12 weeks paid parental leave
- One Medical membership
- Internal events, workshops, and seminars(like ourFriday Talks)
- Hubs in New York City and Boston as well as a fully distributed workforce
Our goal is to get to know you in a low-pressure, friendly environment — and to give you ample opportunity to learn more about us, too.
Our typical process includes these types of experiences:
- A resume screen and introductory phone/video chat
- A take-home exercise where you’ll have the opportunity to demonstrate your communication and problem-solving skills
- Additional conversations with potential future team members, the hiring manager, and leadership
Our goal is to create an environment where you can interview at your best. Our interview process is fully remote, conducted via Zoom calls. If we can provide any assistance or accommodations during your time with us, please let us know at [email protected]. All requests are treated as privately as possible and have no impact on candidate eligibility.
Interested in applying?
Send us a resume, cover letter, and anything else that helps us understand what makes you awesome.
Women, people of color, LGBTQIA2S+ individuals, and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. Upstatement is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Upstatement is committed to providing a welcoming and inclusive workplace for everyone — you are welcome here.
FWIW: Worries of“what if I’m not the perfect fit” can sometimes hold us back from applying to jobs. We want to let you in on a secret: there is no perfect candidate. Sure, we’re interested in resumes, but also the narrative beyond that resume—unique backgrounds, experiences, points of views, etc. As such—there is no set of boxes to tick in order to be a good candidate. If this is a job that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.