Lead DevOps Engineer
We are very flexible with working schedules. For many positions, it is possible to work part-time hours at the expense of pay. All jobs which are marked as "part-time" allow you to choose how many hours you would like to work.
Posted 1 week ago
About the job
The UKHSA Development and Operations team leads the digital transformation of UKHSA to make it a more data driven, customer focused, digital organisation. We do this by delivering services which meet and maintain the Government Digital Service (GDS) Digital by Default Service Standard ( https://www.gov.uk/service-manual/digital-by-default).
UKHSA Development and Operations team is based within the Technology Directorate. We have a team of roughly 40 people including content designers, developers, product managers, strategists and policy experts. We blend expertise from private and Government sectors and we work with a wide range of partners and suppliers. We also manages UKHSA’s presence on GOV.UK, is transitioning UKHSA’s websites to GOV.UK and NHS Choices, runs the UKHSA intranet, and contains a services team to drive improvements in the services operated by UKHSA colleagues.
Potential for a specialist pay allowance of up to £10,000 could be available depending on a capability assessment.
This role can be home working or office based in London. Salary dependent on work base
As a DevOps Engineer, you will have experience of designing and architecting highly-available services on a cloud platform such as AWS, and of implementing continuous integration technologies such as Jenkins, and orchestration tools such as Ansible or Terraform.
As a DevOps Engineer, you will work to optimise our development processes and identify process optimisation opportunities and contribute to the implementation of proposed solutions. You will initially work mostly with AWS, OpenStack and OpenShift developing and supporting systems and infrastructure through to production using modern continuous integration/deployment (CI/CD) techniques and supporting analysis, identification, prioritisation and implementation of incremental improvements to our services currently running. You will be a good technical communicator, able to improve developer experience through tools and technologies in collaboration with the development teams throughout the development lifecycle to live service and decommissioning. You will maintain the security, confidentiality and integrity of our cloud services by implementing relevant information security standards and ensure compliance with relevant legislations and regulations.
You will excel at architecting cloud enabled systems and creating specifications and designs to meet our cloud hosting requirements, working with other stakeholders to translate requirements into visual technical designs and explore different approaches to solving problems. You will be capable of reviewing system designs to ensure selection of appropriate technology, design standards, methods, and tools and efficient use of resources and integration of multiple systems and technology. You will be a systems integrator and able to define and co-ordinate integration build activities across systems and understand how to undertake and support integration testing.
You will understand users and be able to identify them and their needs based on evidence and translate user stories and propose design approaches or services to meet these needs and engage in meaningful interactions and relationships with users. You must put users first, manage competing priorities excel at collaborating with users and user researchers and be able to make recommendations on the best tools and methods to use.
You will work to ensure that our cloud platforms are highly available and be able to define, analyse, plan, forecast, measure, maintain and improve all aspects of our service availability in a cost effective manner. You will need excellent ability to manage the capability, functionality and sustainability of all of our cloud services including infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) and platform-as-a-service (PaaS).
The post holder will develop working relationships and communicate regularly with a wide range of individuals, clinical and non-clinical, internal and external to UKHSA. This will include:
- Technology team
- Data team
- Users within UKHSA including key business sponsors
- Suppliers, in particular UKHSA’s current or potential cloud hosting providers
- Representatives of other bodies with NHS and Department of Health
- Government Digital Service
- Lead development and rollout of a continuous integration and deployment pipeline across UKHSA’s Digital’s estate of apps and services, use of containerisation techniques where appropriate, and working collaboratively with other department
- Support developers, system administrators and technical architects to use DevOps approaches to design, architect, automate and implement highly available and fault-tolerant environments (staging, quality assurance, user acceptance and production), with multi-cloud capability primarily starting on AWS or Azur
- Work with technical colleagues to define and implement DevOps methodology using practices recommended in the GDS Digital by Default Service Standard. Support the team to extend our continuous integration pipeline across our estate of apps and service
- Write infrastructure as code using Terraform or similar. Use cross-platform APIs and automation/deployment technologies such as Ansible or similar to orchestrate cloud platform deployment
- Support and fix bugs in existing application deployment pipelines, using standard debugging tools to track down and identify root causes. Work independently to find solutions / identify problems and to work with the Lead and Senior Developers to solve more challenging issue
- Review existing applications, advising and supporting colleagues on configuring and converting them for deployment to the cloud or migrate from other cloud providers. Support setting up continuous integration/deployment, developing automation scripts and advising developers on adapting them to run in the clou
- Working in sprints in a multidisciplinary scrum team, collaborate and liaise with delivery managers, product owners and other stakeholders to identify business requirements and implement user storie
- Collaborate and work with external developers and cloud service providers to ensure UKHSA derives the maximum benefit from any third party service providers and that the right knowledge is transferred in-house
- Continuously seek to improve your own knowledge of work areas, bringing your learning back into the team, and embrace the agile framework of software delivery. Support colleagues to reach full agility using DevOps best practices including continuous integrations, delivery, and release
- Consistently work to meet project deadlines and manage time effectively to deliver projects on budget
- Educated to degree level in relevant subject such as computer science with core development element or equivalent level qualification or experience of working at a similar level in specialist area
- Proficiency/experience with DevOps approaches to application testing and deployment
- Experience of automated deployment of applications and services to AWS or Azure
- Design, development and support of CI/CD pipelines in a microservice architecture
- Experience of implementing a continuous integration platform such as Jenkins using repeatable deployment patterns
- Knowledge/experience of appropriate standards, methods and tools to design systems using DevOps principles
- Knowledge/experience of cloud automation technologies such as Ansible or Terraform
- Genuine passion and interest in DevOps and cloud automation technologies and version control software (Git)
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and workloads
- Able to identify opportunities to optimise application development/deployment and lifecycle processes and contribute to their implementation using DevOps and Agile approaches
- Able to defines the continuous integration build, co-ordinate build activities across systems and understand how to undertake and support integration testing activities
- Able to work with business and technology stakeholders to translate business problems into technical designs, specifying and designing systems using appropriate standards and tools
- An understanding of and commitment to equality of opportunity and good working relationships, both in terms of day-to-day working practices, but also in relation to management systems
- Postgraduate or professional qualification or equivalent experience in of working at a similar level in specialist area Experience with continuous integration systems (Jenkins/Travis)
- Experience of containerisation or microservices technologies and techniques, such as Docker or Kubernetes
- Good understanding of RESTful Web Services
- Good understanding of user needs and the difference between user needs and desires
- Experience of Agile principles, practices and tools such as Jira
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension with an average employer contribution of 27%
Things you need to know
Selection process details
STAGE 1 - APPLICATION & SIFT:
You will be required to complete an application form. You will be assessed on essential criteria and this will be in the form of:
- a CV/ Application form
- (up to 500 words) Statement of Suitability.
This should outline how you consider your skills, experience and achievements, provide evidence of your suitability for the role, with particular reference to the essential criteria outlined.
The CV & Statement of Suitability will be marked separately and you must pass both to move on to interview.
There will be no possibility to upload any documents along with your online application so include everything you would like us to know in your application.
If you are successful at this stage, you will progress to interview & assessment
STAGE 2 – INTERVIEW
This vacancy is using Success Profiles.
Behaviours , technical, knowledge and experience will be tested at interview.
There will be a Technical Assessment and there may be a Presentation.
The Behaviours tested during the interview stage will be:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Communicating and Influencing
- Managing a Quality Service
Option 3 – External
Open to all external applicants (anyone) from outside the Civil Service (including by definition internal applicants).
Unfortunately, late applications will not be considered
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
**Candidates who pass the interview criteria but are not offered a post will be kept on a reserve list for 12 months and may be contacted if similar roles become available.
If you are interviewed for the post and do not meet the required threshold for the specified grade, your application may be assessed against a similar, lower grade role and you may be offered the post should one be available.**
UKHSA offers hybrid working for its employees – this means that whilst the role will be based in one of our UKHSA offices, there will be opportunities for an element of working from home. The balance between home and workplace working is to be agreed with the line manager, determined primarily by business need and in line with departmental policy.
Some business travel will be required to other UKHSA offices. Business travel between base location and any other UKHSA offices will be covered under the UKHSA Travel and Expenses policy.
Please be aware that this role can only be worked in the UK and not overseas. Relocation expenses are not available.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with settled or pre-settled status or who apply for either status by the deadline of the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.