Only considering candidates who are eligible to work in Durham, UK ⚠️
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster, and simpler.
Based in Durham, we’re committed to bringing world-class career opportunities and developing a strong tech culture in the Northeast. Our team currently has over 500 brilliant people and is still growing; could you be the next innovator to join us?
What’s it all about?
The Lead Credit Manager will be responsible for leading a team of Credit Managers and Analysts to perform the ongoing review and oversight of credit performance across all lending products. You’ll also be responsible for reporting and analysis of lending product performance, creating insight that will be used to develop and review proposals to maximise the profitability of the lending portfolio. Working with the Decision Systems team, you will support the delivery of increased automation to deliver efficient and cost-effective account opening and customer management across Atom’s product range. This ensures that Atom policies can be safely and effectively applied with minimal levels of manual intervention.
Reporting in the Head of Credit Strategy, you’ll work with teams across the business including Propositions, Operations, Risk, Compliance, Data and Systems.
Day to day you will:
- Lead and develop a team of Credit Managers and Analysts
- Lead the development and oversight of new business credit risk policies including credit scoring and affordability decisions to support Atom’s lending growth goals while maintaining control of credit quality and performance
- Direct the delivery and monitoring of effective pre-delinquency, collections, work out any recovery strategies to assist customers while effectively controlling losses
- Provide regular, comprehensive reporting to Credit Committee on the credit risk performance of all lending products
- Direct investigative analysis on new business and portfolio management and identify improvements to policies and procedures
- Set expectations and provide insight on portfolio and segment performance through forecasting and targeted analysis
- Work closely with the Credit Risk Modelling team on performance and development of models
- Ensure that all credit data and credit models are thoroughly and accurately documented and tested
- Lead the delivery of the team’s objectives to deliver increased levels of automation (including strategies, scorecards, policy rules and calculators) across all new business applications
- Perform regular testing and quality assurance of application and customer management processes
What do we need from you?
- Previous experience in credit risk management in financial services
- Good understanding of retail banking products and market ideally including mortgages
- Highly numerate, preferably backed by a strong quantitative degree
- Understanding of data systems and infrastructures
- Programming, database extraction and reporting experience
- Strong data interpretation / interrogation skills, including data manipulation and analysis techniques, to create meaningful insight
- Proficient user of SAS, R or similar
- Strong MS Office skills, in particular MS Excel
What’s in it for you?
- 4 Day Working Week
- Flexible/hybrid working
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 22.5 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every 2 years in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
Atom is an equal opportunities employer. We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
As part of Atom bank’s commitment to the FCA’s Consumer Duty, Atom will, take all reasonable steps to avoid causing foreseeable harm to customers, take all reasonable steps to enable customers to pursue their financial objectives and act in good faith.