Only considering candidates who are eligible to work in Durham, UK ⚠️
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge!
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster, and simpler.
Could you be the next innovator to join us?
Want to join us?
Technology is at the heart of the business, and we have a world-leading Technology stack that enables us to offer the most efficient, user-friendly app-based bank. The Technology team has end to end responsibility for all aspects of our Technology, from architecting the future, engineering solutions, to deploying and managing our technology services. Our Tech teams are now set up in paced change & delivery teams, delivering different types of initiatives aligned to Business Value Streams to support our business growth.
We’re looking for a Junior Backend Engineer to join one of our Value Streams where you will work alongside other Engineers, Product Managers, Business Analysts & Testers to support them to deliver strategic initiatives to the operational business areas of Atom. business analysts and testers to deliver strategic initiatives to the operational business areas of Atom. You’ll contribute to the technical delivery of one of our Backend Engineering teams whilst collaborating
Working with Golang, Python, Java, Kafka and workflow tools, you will have the opportunity to gain key experience within Software Development and a digital only Bank.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no two days the same in Atom):
- Assist in the contribution to technical designs and ensure associated artefacts are documented to agreed standards
- Assist and support the development of various process solutions across business processes and systems using appropriate software languages/tools
- Assist in maintaining all associated design and document artefacts
- Ensure developed components have the appropriate level of quality and governance (version control, documentation, unit testing)
- Be expected to support the software you have produced, ensuring stability not only in the resolution of defects while testing, but up to Production and future operation should incidents arise
- Work with third parties to facilitate integration with our backend systems, API gateway contracts, security, and producing bespoke integration where required
What do we need from you?
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field
- Experience working with Java or other C-like programming language
- An awareness of full stack development
- Awareness of typical integration technologies, general understanding of RESTful APIs
- Knowledge of a standard Software Development Lifecycle
- An understanding to agile project methodology
What you’ll get from us:
- Flexible Hybrid & Remote working
- 4-day work week
- Annual Share Option – performance-related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 22.5 days annual leave plus public holidays
- Private Medical Insurance for you and your full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom is unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
Atom is an equal opportunities employer. We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
As part of Atom bank’s commitment to the FCA’s Consumer Duty, Atom will, take all reasonable steps to avoid causing foreseeable harm to customers, take all reasonable steps to enable customers to pursue their financial objectives and act in good faith.