Only considering candidates who are eligible to work in Canada ⚠️
We are a small team working together to build and share software that supports new models for book publishing with an emphasis on supporting open educational resources (aka free digital textbooks) and other types of educational innovation powered by digital content. We are passionate about open source, open content, open knowledge, and the intersection of books and the web.
We’re a self-sustaining open source / SaaS business with a growing list of happy clients in Canada, the United States, and beyond. Most of our clients are universities and other educational institutions that use Pressbooks to power their publishing and open/free digital textbook creation programs. We care deeply about customer success and the educational communities that rely on our products.
We are a fully remote company with folks working across North America. Our team is welcoming, compassionate, and committed to maintaining a safe and encouraging environment for people of all racial backgrounds and gender identities. Our work hours, vacation time, and sick or care leave policies are designed to support healthy engagement with work and space for a satisfying life outside of it.
About the role
The Human Resources Manager will work closely with the Chief Operating Office to hire and onboard exceptional employees, manage administrative programs related to HR, and foster a healthy atmosphere for our team. The HR Manager will develop human resources programs, policies, and procedures; develop training and continuing education programs for employees; and improve our diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging practices.
You are an autonomous and motivated individual with experience in HR management. You have an eye for details. You are a stickler for precise contracts, a good judge of people, comfortable communicating with government agencies, payroll, and insurance companies, and like to work in a team. You are organized and tech-savvy. You have experience with Google Suite, Microsoft Office, and payroll systems. You have experience developing HR policies and a keen interest in implementing DEIB practices. You are excited about helping a sustainable, mission-driven company grow to its next phase.
Recruitment and Onboarding
- Manage the entire recruitment process, from job postings to first screening calls, reference checks, and the preparation and issuance of employment contracts, including offer letters, compensation plans, and other relevant documents.
- Support department leads/managers in the administration and logistics of employee onboarding, including the use of HR tools and organizing essential resources.
Employee Management and Development
- Conduct and manage yearly 360 performance evaluations and follow-ups.
- Provide career growth, guidance, and continuing education opportunities to our employees.
- Facilitate stay interviews to gauge employee satisfaction and retention strategies.
Compensation, Benefits, and Payroll
- Oversee the current benefits program, including health insurance, and develop other monetary and nonmonetary benefits.
- In partnership with our financial administrator, manage payroll processes, encompassing wages, commissions, tax deductions, and benefits.
Compliance and Legal Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with federal and provincial employment laws and regulations.
- Handle temporary work visas and renewals and PR applications for non-Canadian colleagues and manage relationships with relevant governmental bodies.
- Oversee Labor Market Commitments.
Office and Team Management
- Plan and execute both in-person and remote company social events.
- Administer team surveys.
- Manage GSuite and software access.
- Minimum of four years of experience in a human resources position
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field
- Knowledge of federal and provincial (QC) labour legislation
- Proficient in Google Suite
- A strong understanding of best practices and current regulations specific to HR
Nice to Have
- Proven track record of running payroll and knowledge of Quebec taxes
- Proven track record of creating and implementing successful DEIB strategies
- Proficient Human Resource Information Systems (HRIS)
What we offer
- 4-day work week
- 4 weeks of vacation and time off during the December holidays
- Extended health care, including dental and vision
- 24/7 telehealth services
- Employee assistance program (legal, financial and career)
- Generous benefits package that includes:
- yearly tech allowance,
- yearly wellness allowance,
- yearly book allowance,
- monthly internet allowance,
- group RRSP
- one-time work-from-home stipend,
- memberships to discount platforms.
What to expect once you apply
You will be invited to join a 30-minute intro call with our recruitment team, during which we will walk you through the team’s mission, the role, and the interview process.
Following the intro call, we will invite selected candidates to advance to a one-hour interview.
Finalists will be invited to an additional 1-hour interview with your future team members.
Job Type: Full-time
Experience: Min 4 years
Location: Canadawide remote