We will start hiring for this role in the upcoming weeks with an estimated start date in June/ July 2022. If you are interested and would like to get in touch with us, feel free to apply.
At a glance
- The company: Unito is a software startup that helps work collaboration tools speak to each other. We’re currently 60+ employees and growing fast!
- The role: the Head of Product Design will be managing, growing and mentoring a team of Product Designers.
- Ideal seniority level: Manager to Senior Manager (level 4 or 5 in our matrix)
- The pay: We have transparent and data-backed salaries. You’ll find the salary range associated with this role in the “More on the salary” section below.
- The benefits: Health insurance / $1,000 per year wellness spending budget for self-improvement / 4 weeks of vacation (3 weeks + holiday season) / Stock options
- The team: you will report to the Head of Product and have a team of 3 Product Designers working with you.
- The office situation: We're a hybrid company. All employees are based in Montreal where we have our office and can choose to work remotely for part of the week (government covid measures always prevail).
- The hiring process: The last step is a paid pilot project. Your time is valuable, we don’t intend to abuse it.
Not the role for you? Sign up to our career newsletter to get notified when we open more positions.
More on the role
Why we opened this position
Our product design team has been doing a great job at making our app more and more user friendly despite the technical aspect of our product. We’re now at a stage where we want to add a more experienced team member that will help the team improve and scale its design processes.
The main responsibilities
- Hire, train and mentor the Product Design team, helping them grow and succeed
- Continuously improve the work processes, and make sure we stay up to date with the latest product design trends and best practices
- Help the team build a state of the art App Design System
- Define and maintain a frictionless and consistent user experience
- Provide UX/UI & copy frameworks, working closely with the product and engineering teams to scale development processes
The experience we need
We don’t believe in adding 10 requirements just to fill a job posting. We keep the list short and only mention what will be necessary for you to perform in this role. If you don’t fit these criterias but decide to apply anyway, make sure you let us know why in the questionnaire you’ll receive later on.
- You've spent 5+ years designing and releasing SaaS products with a portfolio demonstrating your contribution to these projects
- You have 2+ years of experience managing a team of product designers
- You have a good understanding of how design systems work and have worked with modern design tools like Figma
- Strong spoken & written English
Other skills that will be valued
These are not requirements but will likely help you ramp up faster and succeed at Unito.
- Experience scaling a design team in a fast growth environment
- Experience in continuous delivery environments
- Ability to communicate in French (or desire to learn!)
- Experience with some of the tools we integrate
- A first experience with the Unito app (you can try it for free, go check it out!)
More on the salary
We decided to share the salary associated with this job posting publicly because pay transparency is at the core of Unito and has a tremendous impact on workplace equity.
Two things to note before we get to the numbers:
- We have fully transparent and data-backed salaries. Which means pay is an open and fair discussion at Unito. Read more on exactly what that means here.
- If your salary expectations are higher than the range indicated below, it’s probably because you’re more senior than what we initially targeted. We’re always willing to hire someone more senior if they’re the right fit, and we will always pay our staff fairly. So you should still apply if this role and company are what you’re looking for.
- Our ideal seniority level: Manager to Senior Manager (level 4 to 5 in our leveling system)
- The corresponding salary range: $115,000 to $130,000
More on Unito
Describing everything we are and do in a short paragraph is really tough! So we spent some time designing a great career page that highlights what it’s like to work at Unito. Check it out if you’d like to learn more!
If you’d rather not go down a rabbit hole just yet, here are the main things we believe make Unito different from your run-of-the-mill startup:
- We REALLY care about company culture. Everyone describes the team as a strong community with a real sense of belonging and caring.
- We pay our employees fairly and transparently. All employee and executive salaries are public, along with how we came up with the numbers
- Our product is all about optimizing team collaboration, and that’s something we practice constantly internally.
- We still have an office and don’t intend to give it up because we believe in-person interactions foster creativity and reinforce that sense of community that makes us who we are.
Get paid for a trial run!
Our hiring process is a two-way street. After you go through an initial phone screen and interview, you’ll get a chance to work on a paid pilot project to see if Unito’s a good fit for you. It’s your chance to show us how you work and our chance to show you why Unito is a great place to do it.
- Work with the team: You'll be working on a real project that Unito needs to get done, not a standardized test. You also get to collaborate with your potential team.
- Get paid: We are not going to waste your time. You get paid for the work you put in, even if we don't end up hiring you.
If this still isn’t the role for you but Unito’s starting to sound like your future company, sign up to our career newsletter and get notified when we open more positions.
Unito is committed to equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing its team members with a healthy (equitable, fair, unbiased) work environment. We highly value diversity in all aspects.