Only considering candidates who are eligible to work in Europe ⚠️
The real economy employs 3 billion people in frontline jobs, yet frontline teams have been underserved by technology for decades and are left to choose between paper or 20-year-old workforce management solutions, which harm both their employees and their business.
At Sona, we’re building the Frontline Operating System; an end-to-end platform to manage the entirety of a shift-based workforce. Sona combines the functionality you expect from any workforce management software - including scheduling, time & attendance, and absence management - with industry-specific plugins and dedicated features to empower staff, all in one easy-to-use platform that simplifies frontline work for everyone.
We have the opportunity to build a very large, impactful and sector-defining business, and we’re off to a fast start. In year 1, we reached tens of thousands of frontline workers and raised over $10 million from Google’s AI fund - Gradient Ventures, SpeedInvest, Notion Capital and angels like Tom Blomfield, to help us reach more.
It’s a hugely exciting time to be joining the team, as we’re still small enough that you’ll have a significant impact on the company, growth trajectory and culture, but large enough that we have a great structure, experienced leaders and world-class benefits in place (such as being fully remote and flexible, and only working 4.5 days a week)
About the Role
We fundamentally believe that the best products are built when small, cross functional, autonomous teams are empowered to solve business problems as they see fit. You’ll be joining a pod which owns a particular area of the product and movement between product areas is encouraged and easy.
Our stack has two main components:
- A backend with a GraphQL API (for communicating with the Native App) and a web frontend built using Elixir and Phoenix Live View (the PETAL stack)
- A native mobile application built in React Native + Typescript
We think in terms of “T Shaped” developers. This means that while all of us have some ability across the “full stack”, most of us have one side of the stack (e.g. Elixir or React Native) we’re stronger on and spend the bulk of our time on. Typically when somebody starts working with us, they have strong experience with one side of the stack and then learn the other part on the job.
How we Work
We’re a small company with a strong preference for lightweight, asynchronous processes and within Product, we work in sprints with periodic retrospectives. Everything starts with our customers and our engineers (and wider Product team) work closely with Customer Success to ensure we’re building a product that fits our users needs. Our Product team principles give more of a flavour of how we like to work day-to-day.
Everybody’s different, but a lot of the following probably applies to you:
- You have some professional experience in Elixir
- You have a strong preference towards taking ownership, making sure you’re clear on what you’re doing and why and then communicating progress over awaiting instruction
- You’re excited about building beautiful user interfaces using Tailwind and Liveview
- You have a focus on “getting it shipped” and when given the choice between “complicated and shiny” vs “get something simple in front of a user”, you always choose the latter.
- You’re in a country which is GMT +/- 3 and fluent communicating both verbally and in writing in English
- You’re able to attend in-person company meetups 2-3 times per year, these will be around 4 days long and usually require flying both in and outside of Europe
- £75-90k (or local equivalent), depending on experience
- 4.5 day standard working week
- Share options
- Fully remote and flexible working
- 35 days annual leave (25 days standard plus 10 flexible public holiday days)
- Pension contributions matched up to 5%
- Enhanced parental leave & pay
- Comprehensive health insurance via Bupa
- Co-working space stipend
- Quarterly all expenses paid team retreats
- The latest Macbook and equipment for your home office
- Professional development budget
- Unlimited free books
Working at Sona
We take our health and mental health seriously, believing that we can only perform to our best when we are healthy, happy, and in control of when, where, and how we work. That's why we're fully remote and everyone works a 4.5 day week (you choose when you take the half day) with a fully flexible schedule.
We balance this with regular virtual stand-ups and all-hands so we're all aligned, and paid-for, in-person meet-ups so you can get to know your colleagues.
You can learn more about the team and what it’s like working at Sona here.
Compensation Range: £75K - £90K