Only considering candidates who are eligible to work in Europe ⚠️
Please be aware that in the event of a significant number of applicants, the position may be temporarily removed from the website until we can thoroughly evaluate each application. If we are unable to identify the ideal candidate from the initial pool, we will repost the role online.Thank you!
We are looking for an Engineering Manager, with Machine Learning (ML) focus, to join us in Berlin.
Reporting directly to the CTO, you will support our ML engineers, who build solutions involving Large Language Models (LLMs), Embeddings, and Natural Language Processing.
As their people manager, you will enable your engineers to grow professionally and empower the team to work autonomously. As part of a creative cross-functional team, you will work on products that directly improve the search experience of millions of users, for example understanding user intents or providing instant answers to users’ queries.
In addition, you will assist your team in establishing AI best practices and growing the company’s knowledge in ML and Data Engineering practices. Together with your product and engineering management peers, you will strengthen our equitable, inclusive, curious, and fun Engineering culture. Join us in shaping the future with AI!
What you’ll be doing
- Enable your team to be more autonomous and self-sufficient, by removing roadblocks, facilitating decisions, resolving tensions, providing the right tools, and assisting the team.
- Work alongside the team to overcome AI-specific challenges, leveraging your expertise to find innovative solutions.
- Ensure the seamless execution and timely delivery of AI projects & experiments.
- Balance research & experimentation with delivery to create the biggest user value.
- Collaborate with stakeholders across our search teams to implement cross-team initiatives.
- Advise product and engineering stakeholders on strategic AI and Data-Engineering investments.
- Review environmental, ethical, and privacy risks of Machine Learning models.
- Work with the CTO and Engineering Management peers on the company’s Engineering Strategy.
- Support our recruiters to attract, recruit, and onboard great engineering talent to build diverse, highly able teams.
- Inspire an atmosphere of continuous improvement and ensure that engineers continue to learn and share knowledge and insights across teams.
- Hold regular 1:1s, feedback, and growth conversations to plan and support career development, including coaching and mentoring.
- Ensure performance evaluation and compensation are fair and equitable.
- Co-create a collaborative and inclusive culture in line with our company values.
What you bring
- You enjoy developing and growing people and have a documented history of leading, managing, coaching, and mentoring software engineers, for at least 2 years.
- You possess a robust background in Machine Learning (including technologies such as Natural Language Processing, Classification, Embeddings, and ideally even LLMs), showcasing the ability to effectively guide the team in ML initiatives through the whole life cycle (from creating datasets to monitoring in production)
- You have prior experience working as a software, data, or ML engineer and know how to apply modern engineering practices to ensure continuous delivery and experimentation.
- You have hired for engineering positions, embracing diversity and understanding the importance of creating an inclusive workplace.
- You have a bias towards action and pragmatism, both in your own work, as well as in your enablement of others.
- What if your job made a real difference in the climate crisis? Join Ecosia and help plant millions of trees where people and ecosystems need them most.
- We offer you the opportunity to balance work with other parts of your life. (Flexible working hours, more vacation days than the law requires (30 days/year on a five-day week), designated Focus Times, remote work options) (not applicable to freelance contracts).
- Moving to Berlin for the first time? We welcome everyone and offer relocation support and visa/work permit assistance to new employees and their loved ones coming from abroad and within Germany (applicable for unlimited contracts).
- We are a team of more than 30 nationalities, including people from different sexual orientations, ages, races, physical/mental abilities, child/pet/plant parents, and non-traditional backgrounds.
- We help you live sustainably through our green benefits, such as subsidized public transport cards, bike inspection, etc., depending on your location (not applicable to freelance contracts).
- We support your professional growth through monthly learning days, hack days, online and physical library, a 2000€ development allowance per year, continuous feedback, etc. (not applicable to freelance contracts).
How many people work at Ecosia?
114 (October 2023) - our departments include Engineering, Product (incl. Design & BI), Marketing, Trees, Operations, and People and Culture.
Where is Ecosia based and is it remote friendly?
We are a remote-friendly company with one office in Berlin-Wedding.