About the company
Meilisearch’s mission is to create a best-in-class search experience for every website and application. We are building a blazingly fast and ultra-relevant search engine made in Rust that allows our partners to have a powerful search engine without initial configuration. Features such as typo-tolerance, filters, and synonyms are provided out-of-the-box.
We are fully open source: we strongly believe the best way to realize our vision is to leverage the open source community's power. We already have many integrations and SDKs to allow any developer to try Meilisearch in their environment quickly. We have a vibrant connection with our community of early adopters and builders. We are in contact every day and eagerly listen to feedback from our contributors.
We completed a $15 million round of funding in September 2022, and are backed by 6 leading international investors Felicis Ventures, CRV, LocalGlobe, Mango Capital, Seedcamp, and Vercel CEO Guillermo Rauch. We have already partnered with industry heavyweights like Louis Vuitton and Platform.sh.
We are a team of 31 passionate people, and our project is growing fast (+10K GitHub stars in 12 months). We have been developing our OSS search engine product since 2018, and have been publicly monetizing our Cloud offer for a few months 🎉
In order to support the scaling of our engineering teams, we are looking for an Engineering Manager to lead and manage a team of 4 engineers working on our core search engine.
About the team
At Meilisearch, the Engine Team is responsible for developing the core search engine, one of the biggest public Rust projects, that combines performance, relevance and ease of use.
The team is open-source focused: it addresses topics such as the development of search algorithms, and more production-oriented aspects like the creation of an API. The core developers also contribute regularly to other open-source projects, like roaring-rs, fst, whatlang-rs, lindera, helix, and the Rust language.
You will directly report to Clémentine, our Head of Engineering. You will work hand in hand with Clément, Tech Lead, as well as the 4 engineers in this team: Maxime, Thomas, Loïc& Louis. They work closely with our open-source product manager, Guillaume. To know more about the rest of Meili people, check out this page.
The code base of the engine team is fully written in Rust and is currently composed of :
Meilisearch: an HTTP API handling the indexes and the task store of Meilisearch using actix. Meilisearch is currently the biggest project base on actix.
Milli: handles the indexation and the search of the engine based on LMDB.
Tokenizer: handles the tokenization and the support of different languages.
What you’ll be doing
- As an Engineering Manager, your role will include:
- Leading a team of four backend software engineers
- Supporting the day-to-day of your team by reviewing, coaching, providing feedback, problem-solving, and removing roadblocks
- Supporting the individual growth and development of the people in your team (reviews, mentoring, providing feedback, and peer feedback), and helping them evolve at Meilisearch,
- Promoting skill evolution within your team through training, mentoring, and/or external recruitment
- Ensuring the engineers in your team work effectively with each other
- Establishing and maintaining an inclusive, respectful, and diverse atmosphere to ensure that all voices are heard
Delivery & Coordination
- Managing the release (changelog, creation, milestones, automation…) on GitHub, and the communication around it
- Working closely with the product team to understand, anticipate and define the team's priorities
- You are responsible for the smooth execution of the sprint, and you ensure the priorities are followed
- Communicating your team’s work and synchronizing with other managers
- Actively engaging with the broader leadership team
- You are responsible for improving and creating processes in your team (release, meetings)
Our ideal profile - Soft skills
- Your fit with our team is as important to us as your technical background, if not more so. We are looking for someone with these important soft skills:
- You have a passion for helping teams and individuals grow, and for building an inclusive culture and diverse team
- You are empathetic, value direct communication, and practice active listening
- You give and receive feedback effectively
- You have good organizational skills. You know how to synchronize with other teams and developers in your own team
- Ability to delegate to the right persons
Our ideal profile - Hard skills
- Must have
- +2 years of professional experience leading or managing an engineering team
- Fluent English (if you’re not bilingual it’s fine, but you will be working orally and in writing with international teams)
- You are used to present your work or your team’s work to other teams
- You have experience handling and creating processes using git (strong knowledge needed) and automating them with CIs
- You have solid project management skills; you can handle the communication and synchronization of a project
- Nice to have
- You have experience working closely with a Product team
- You have worked on an open-source project professionally or personally
- Please send us your resume and a quick note of why you might be a good fit for this job. Don't hesitate to have a look at our LinkedIn page, as well as our Meet the Team page (under construction).
- Screening interview (30min): If your profile fits, you will be contacted for a screening call to briefly chat about your background and motivations, and confirm your availability and salary expectations -> 30min. If it doesn't fit, you will get an email from us.
- Hiring Manager Interview (1h): you will meet Clémentine, our Head of Engineering, and Clément one of our co-founders. They will assess your technical fit with the role and ask you questions about your way of working.
- Technical Assessment: we will ask you to complete an assignment (under construction) and will schedule a 30/45 min to debrief with Clémentine and Guillaume, Product Manager, to evaluate your skills and give you a better idea of what working at Meilisearch could be like.
- Team fit interview (1h): you will meet with Maxime and Thomas, Software engineers to speak about your experience, skillset and to assess your fit with Meilisearch.
- At the same time we will conduct a reference check with 2 people of your choosing, who you are working with or have worked with the past.
We know that the ideal profile for this role might not exist: if you feel that you don't completely fit the requirements, but are interested in the role, don't hesitate to apply!
Why you'll enjoy working with us
Permanent full-time contract,
We are open to fully remote applications, as long as you are between GMT-4 and GMT+5 time zones,
4 day work week & flexible working hours,
If you’re working from home, we will provide either a stipend for you to equip yourself, or an access to Fleex (Europe). We also reimburse up to 500 EUR / month for your co working expenses,
Access to a mental health platform ( moka.care) + 6 sessions with a coach/trained therapist,
3 months paid parental leave,
6 weeks paid time off,
Management training to freshly hired and newly appointed managers,
- We all get together at least once a year for a company offsite.
Meilisearch is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to develop an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of our open-source community.