Only considering candidates who are eligible to work in Atlanta, USA ⚠️
Kickstarter is the go-to crowdfunding platform for creative projects across everything from film, games and music to art, design, and technology. Fueled by the support of our team, our mission to help bring creative projects to life has been a core tenet since our inception in 2009.
To date, we have helped more than 249,000 creative projects reach their funding goal with pledges totalling more than $7.6 billion dollars. We continue to be committed to the growth and success of not only our community, but our team as well. Rooted in shared values, Kickstarter sees team members as whole people, giving every individual the autonomy and space to participate in decisions that impact them.
Kickstarter is seeking an experienced Controller to join our Finance team.
As our Controller at Kickstarter, you will play a vital role on our lean finance team and work alongside our CFO to build out the next iteration of many of our financial and accounting processes. In this role, you will create accounting policies and manage all of our company's financial operations, and support the formulation of management policies. You will be responsible for the organization's timely and accurate financial administration. The ideal candidate is a strong communicator, accounting leader, and skilled financial analyst.
The salary range for this role in the United States is $138,000 - $162,500. Please note that we are only considering candidates based in the greater Atlanta, Georgia area or the greater New York City area for this role.
In this role, you will:
- Partner with the CFO to build and implement consistent accounting policies, practices, and procedures across all programs, adhering to national and local legal standards while remaining knowledgeable of proposed legislation in partnership with the Legal team.
- Develop and enforce internal controls to maximize protection of company assets, policies, procedures, and workflows.
- Prepare and analyze monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
- Ensure compliance with accounting standards and regulatory requirements, and support the development of management policies including but not limited to cash management, segregation of duties, delegation of financial / decision authority, financial risk exposure, and accounting treatments.
- Prepare financial reports for senior management and ad hoc reporting for the CFO.
- Monitor and manage cash flow to optimize working capital.
- Implement effective cash management policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain internal controls to safeguard company assets.
- Conduct regular reviews to identify areas for process improvement.
- Maintain internal safeguards for revenue receipts, costs, and team and organizational budgets and actual expenditures.
- Provide insightful balance sheet and cash flow analysis, budgets and forecasting to support strategic decision-making.
- Coordinate with external auditors during the annual audit process.
- Ensure timely and accurate provision of audit documentation.
- Oversee payroll operations in partnership with our People team.
- Oversee all aspects of tax operations, including corporate income tax and sales tax.
- Stay informed about changes in tax regulations and ensure the company's adherence.
- Support confidential activities as needed including but not limited to board meeting preparation and supporting company strategy with the CFO.
- You have a Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field; CPA designation required. Experience at a Big Four accounting firm preferred.
- You have 5-7 years of experience as a Controller, Manager of Accounting, or similar financial leadership role.
- You have extensive knowledge of GAAP and financial reporting.
- You have strong financial and payroll systems experience. Preferably, ADP.
- You have extensive experience working with Google Sheets and / or MS Excel to conduct analysis and produce financial reports.
- You excel in budgeting, forecasting, and cash flow management.
- You have exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills and thrive in fast-paced environments with limited resources.
- You are detail-oriented with a commitment to accuracy, confidentiality, and integrity.
- You’re a proactive communicator with demonstrated financial leadership skills.
- You are based in either the Atlanta, Georgia metro area or the New York City metro area. For candidates based in Atlanta, you can expect to co-work with our Finance team on a monthly basis; for candidates based in the NYC metro area, you can expect to co-work with our Finance team on a quarterly basis.
What You'll Enjoy
- A fully remote workforce with plenty of opportunities to get to know your colleagues
- 100% employer-paid health plan offerings
- 16 paid vacation days, 10 sick days, and a company-wide winter break between Christmas and New Years
- 25 volunteer hours each year to give back to your community
- 16 weeks of parental leave plus fertility/family planning resources
- Kickstarter currently operates with a 4-day workweek, a model that aligns our belief in a healthy work-life balance and gives staff the space to be more than their work
- Incredibly talented and inspiring colleagues who know how to blend their creative endeavors into their work
You can read more about our benefits and working at Kickstarter at our Jobs page: https://jobs.kickstarter.com/
Our Fully Virtual Team
We’re currently able to support employees based in the following US locations: CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IL, MA, MD, NC, NJ, NY, OR, VA, and WA. We're also able to support employees in the United Kingdom and Canada (Ontario & British Columbia). If you live in—or are willing to move to—any of these locations, we look forward to your application! If there is a required or preferred location for an open role, it will be listed in the job description.
Kickstarter is an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to fight for equality, we work to ensure a fair and consistent interview process. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive work environment.
Reminder to applicants: Authentic communications from Kickstarter will always originate from official Kickstarter email domains (@kickstarter.com). Exercise caution and verify the legitimacy of anyone who claims to be representing Kickstarter on other platforms.
Please reach out to Kickstarter’s Help Center to report potentially fraudulent contact here: https://help.kickstarter.com/hc/en-us/requests/new