Common Future works to close the racial wealth gap. Our current economic system does not work for everyone. Generations of Black and Indigenous communities and other communities of color have been and are currently intentionally locked out of wealth and power, holding us all back. Founded in 2001, Common Future is building a future where all people—no matter their race and class—have power, choice, and ownership over the economy.
As a Black-led, multiracial organization, our diverse team of strategists, community organizers, financial activists, and policy enthusiasts provides capital, operational support, and strategic partnership to budding solutions addressing racial and economic injustice. To advance racial and economic equity, Common Future incubates, co-creates, and funds field-defining initiatives and influences key sectors. We collaborate with leaders who have the imagination and courage to rethink our economy. We bring initiatives that model how to build wealth and power in excluded communities to life.
Our culture values include centering equity, being the communities we serve, embracing experimentation, reimagining what’s broken, collectively solving problems, and modeling a new way of working. We strive to be an innovator that prioritizes the well-being of our employees. Read more about us on our Medium page.
The Communications Team at Common Future creates content, conversations, and campaigns that transform how people think about and work towards an equitable economy. The Content Associate plays a critical role in this work by helping us strengthen our digital presence, ensuring accuracy and timeliness across our digital channels and supporting our campaign efforts. Specifically, this role will manage our social media channels, and will support wider digital efforts such as our blog, website, newsletter, and more—driving audience growth and engagement.
As Common Future diversifies and deepens relationships with its audiences, this person will also need to have a solid understanding of social media, community management, attention to detail, and strong writing and copy editing skills. Working knowledge of economic justice and the economy is a huge plus.
Social Media (60%)
Social Media and Community Management
- Works directly with the Digital Content Producer to identify content to share online, and write, edit, and schedule social media content.
- Works with the Digital Content Producer and Creative Services specialists to pitch social media content, based on reflecting on social media trends and social media performance.
- Monitor social media performance, comments, trends, and create reports and insights for the greater Comms team to react to.
- Monitor current events and trends to recommend timely content Common Future should be creating for quick turnarounds.
Communications Support(40%) Editing and Administration
- Copy edit outgoing editorial and email content to ensure grammatical accuracy in keeping with the Common Future style guide. Suggest updates to the style guide.
- Update and track milestones with the Comms team project management process, and ensure you can meet deadlines within the necessary timelines.
- Track external press mentions, speaking engagements, and add to our AirTable tracker.
- Works with the Comms team to make text-based updates to the CF website.
- Works with the Comms teams to place orders with external vendors as needed.
Content Associate specific:
- Initial understanding of digital engagement and interest in creating content that drives conversations, audience growth, and awareness
- Community management or social media copywriting experience
- Strong and efficient copy editor
- Strong project management skills
- Proactive problem solver
- Attention to detail
- Enthusiastic and creative
- Graphic design / Adobe skills a plus
- Video editing skills a plus
- Experience with Wordpress a plus
- Experience with brand campaigns a plus
- Working knowledge of economic justice. Topics include community development finance, community banking, impact investing, and economic development.
Desired competencies for all Common Future team members:
- Intellectual curiosity
- Strategic thinking
- Growth mindset
- Equity and inclusion lens
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Flexibility and responsiveness
- Comfort working in ambiguity
- Relationship building towards mutual support and trust
- Accountability and follow through
- Entrepreneurial style, with an enthusiasm for working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
## Compensation & benefits This is a full-time, non-exempt position. The salary range is $57,000 to $66,000 and commensurate with experience. Common Future offers a work environment that is committed to the wellbeing, work life balance, and support of our employees. We embrace a human-centered approach to our practices and policies. We offer a competitive benefits package that includes
20-25 paid time off days
- Paid holidays
- Presidents Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving break
- Christmas to New Years break (Employees who cannot take the week between Christmas and New Years off due to workflow can opt to take the week of Thanksgiving off instead)
- 4 day work week, Monday - Thursday or 32 hour workweek, 80% time at 100% pay
- Remote and flexible work options
- One time $800 home office set up stipend for new employees
- $150 per month coworking, home office, and cell phone stipend
- Paid medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Paid long term disability coverage
- Access to a flexible spending account (FSA) for medical and dependent expenses
- Paid parental leave pilot in 2022
- 4% 403b retirement plan contribution that is immediately vested
- $500+ annual professional development stipend
- And more
How to apply
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Common Future does not discriminate against applicants or employees due to their race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical ability, hairstyle, previous incarceration, or length of time spent unemployed. As an organization, we are committed to reflecting the diverse communities we serve. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit your cover letter, resume, salary expectation, and up to 3 references here. In your cover letter, please answer the following questions with no more than 3-5 sentences or bullet points per question:
- Why do you wantto work at Common Future?
- How might your experiences, whether lived, worked, or studied, contribute to the mission of Common Future and this role?
- Anything else you would like us to know.
Our ideal start date for this role is January 16, 2023 with interviews beginning in December 2022. Applications will be evaluated as they arrive and the position will remain open until filled.