Only considering candidates who are eligible to work in Europe ⚠️
Please be aware that in the event of a significant number of applicants, the position may be temporarily removed from the website until we can thoroughly evaluate each application. If we are unable to identify the ideal candidate from the initial pool, we will repost the role online.Thank you!
If you have any questions about this or any other role before applying, please reach out to [email protected]
Ecosia is a leading social business that was founded in 2009. We are a search engine that uses 100% of our profits, generated from advertising, to fund climate action, plant trees and support reforestation projects around the world. Our mission is to help solve the climate crisis by creating simple ways for people to be climate-active every day.
Role and Responsibilities
We’re looking for a highly motivated and experienced Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) to lead our marketing efforts and help us achieve our ambitious growth goals. The CMO will report to the CEO and be responsible for developing and executing a marketing strategy that will help us acquire new users, retain our audience, develop our brand, and grow Ecosia into an international leader in climate tech and social business.
We would appreciate the location of the candidate to be either in Berlin or elsewhere in Germany, or a location easily accessible by train.
Reasons: to collaborate with the rest of the C-level effectively, e.g. during OKR weeks, and connect with the Marketing team which is mostly in Berlin.
Your opportunity to make an impact:
- Develop and implement a marketing strategy that aligns with Ecosia's mission and values and helps us grow our user base and impact.
- Manage and mentor high-performing marketing teams that focus on performance marketing, press, creative production, content and brand development, CRM, and climate action.
- Identify and implement innovative marketing tactics that will help Ecosia stand out in a crowded market and help us grow organically.
- Develop a deep understanding of our users and help develop a brand that resonates with our target audience.
- Lead the development of marketing campaigns that educate and inspire people to take action on the climate crisis while furthering Ecosia’s growth and brand goals.
- Address industry challenges in a competitive and rapidly evolving search and browser market.
- Build bridges between Product and Marketing.
- Help the team come up with effective and original marketing campaigns.
- Work with C-level towards a company strategy that ensures alignment between departments.
Your skills and expertise:
- 10+ years of experience in marketing, with at least 5 years in a senior leadership role.
- Proven track record of developing and executing successful marketing strategies that drive growth and long term retention – ideally within a B2C context.
- Extensive experience with performance marketing, conversion optimization, and retention initiatives.
- Extensive experience with managing social media and influencer marketing, creative production, brand development, PR, and organic growth initiatives.
- Passion for climate and social impact. Experience working with mission-driven brands is a plus.
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to assess return on investment for marketing activities and tests.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills, with the ability to inspire and lead teams and to collaborate across the organization.
- Experience with building large (10-30 people) teams and agile marketing processes.
- Experience with our core markets (DACH, UK, FR, US) is a plus.
What we offer
- The opportunity to work for a company with a clear social and environmental mission. Ecosia made a legal commitment to use 100% of its profits for the planet. Your job will uplift vulnerable communities around the world, save endangered animals, and reduce CO2.
- A dynamic and international work environment with a team of passionate individuals.
- A remote-friendly environment and flexible working hours.
- A competitive salary and benefits package.
- A weekly and optional team lunch.
- Great opportunities for personal and professional development.
If you are a strategic thinker with a passion for climate and social impact, and you are excited about the opportunity to help Ecosia grow, we would love to hear from you. Apply now and help us make the planet a better place.
- Recruiter screen;
- First Marketing interview;
- Second Marketing interview;
- Leadership interview;
- C-level interview & alignment.
- What if your job made a real difference in the climate crisis? Join Ecosia and help plant millions of trees where people and ecosystems need them most.
- We offer you the opportunity to balance work with other parts of your life. (Flexible working hours, more vacation days than the law requires (30 days/year on a five-day week), designated Focus Times, remote work options) (not applicable to freelance contracts).
- Moving to Berlin for the first time? We welcome everyone and offer relocation support and visa/work permit assistance to new employees and their loved ones coming from abroad and within Germany (applicable for unlimited contracts).
- We are a team of more than 30 nationalities, including people from different sexual orientations, ages, races, physical/mental abilities, child/pet/plant parents, and non-traditional backgrounds.
- We help you live sustainably through our green benefits, such as subsidized public transport cards, bike inspection, etc., depending on your location (not applicable to freelance contracts).
- We support your professional growth through monthly learning days, hack days, online and physical library, a 2000€ development allowance per year, continuous feedback, etc. (not applicable to freelance contracts).
How many people work at Ecosia?
111 (February 2024) - our departments include Engineering (incl. Platform), Product (incl. Design & BI), Marketing, Trees, Operations, and People and Culture.
Where is Ecosia based and what kind of a work set-up do we have?
We are a remote-friendly company with one office in Berlin-Wedding. People come to the office or work from home as per their wishes and circumstances. Some roles require presence in the office at least from time to time. The recruiter will tell you more.
Compensation Range: €120K - €147K