Only considering candidates who are eligible to work in the UK ⚠️
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge!
We’re not like the rest. We’re true innovators, and we’re redefining what a bank should be. Ours is a bank for today and the future, a mobile-first bank. Forget the stuffy branches, with Atom you can bank whenever, wherever, faster, and simpler.
Could you be the next innovator to join us?
Want to join us?
Technology is at the heart of the business, and we have a world-leading Technology stack that enables us to offer the most efficient, user-friendly app-based bank. The Technology team has end to end responsibility for all aspects of our Technology, from architecting the future, engineering solutions, to deploying and managing our technology services.
Atom is hiring an Engineering Manager to lead our Backend Engineering Practice, where you’ll be responsible for the capability development across our Microservices, Data, Core Banking, and Integration Guilds. We have recently organised our Technology team into long-lived value stream aligned teams, focused on delivering technology change safely and at pace to support our business growth.
In this role you will use your passion for developing others by building a high performing team whilst supporting team members to develop and provide them with the guidance and skills to succeed. It’s not all people focused though, as we’ll need your technical expertise to help diagnose and solve complex technical issues and bring new ideas of modern engineering practices to Atom.
You’ll coordinate across departments including Architecture, Data, Engineering & Delivery to accomplish collaborative goals.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no two days the same in Atom):
- Manage continued capability development, with a particular focus on ensuring the delivery teams have the right engineering skills and experience to enable elite delivery
- Build a culture of engineering excellence with a focus on performance, scalability, privacy, and security
- Lead by example with engineering practices to increase our engineering maturity
- Own technical roadmaps across all Backend Engineering Guilds
- Set and ensure standards for backend development are adhered to
- Generate and implement process improvements
- Foster technical decision making from the team but make the final decisions when necessary
- Collaborate with other areas of Engineering to ensure the software development life cycle is optimised for safety and flow.
- Map product level customer journeys.
What do we need from you?
- A passion for people management, great products, and product design
- Excellent brokering and collaboration skills, regularly achieve consensus amongst departments
- Ensure high technical standards are adhered to by instituting processes (architecture reviews, testing) and culture (engineering excellence)
- Significant experience of working with Backend Technologies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A broad understanding of full stack development in an Agile/DevOps environment
- Working Knowledge of best practices/standards in API, data and microservices development.
What you’ll get from us:
- Flexible Hybrid & Remote working
- 4-day work week
- Annual Share Option – performance-related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 22.5 days annual leave plus public holidays
- Private Medical Insurance for you and your full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom is unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship
Atom is an equal opportunities employer. We value you as an individual and therefore disregard race, religion/belief, gender, sexual orientation, maternity/pregnancy, age, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership and disability in any hiring decisions we make. Atom will always adhere to the Equality Act 2010.
All roles within Atom must adhere to the Conduct Rules as set out by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
As part of Atom bank’s commitment to the FCA’s Consumer Duty, Atom will, take all reasonable steps to avoid causing foreseeable harm to customers, take all reasonable steps to enable customers to pursue their financial objectives and act in good faith.