Backend Engineer @ Atom
The bank that’s leading the fintech charge.
Tech is at the heart of everything we do here at Atom. We’ve rebuilt the bank, from our app to our banking platform, to make sure it’s native and cloud based. Thanks to this approach, we can develop new products and ship updates to customers rapidly.
We have very little legacy, but that doesn’t stop us looking for ways to improve. For instance, we are already exploring ways to improve some services we transitioned to the cloud very recently. Quickness and efficiency are always a priority, but we never compromise on security, usability, or reliability getting there.
Our teams are multi-disciplined, well-structured, and set up to work in Agile Scrum or Kanban. We encourage collaboration and creative thinking when building products and services. Could you be the latest innovator to join us?
Want to join us?
The Atom Engineering department comprises of Front-End, Back-End, SRE, and Testing capabilities. They make up the engine room that powers the development of our app and associated services, all of which are essential for the running of a secure, resilient, and visible cloud-based bank.
We work in multi-disciplinary teams to create awesome new features for our customers and to make sure the platform is running smoothly. Our agile approach to software development allows us to release updates when they are ready and needed, rather than to a rigid schedule.
Our back-end services mainly follow a microservice CQRS pattern, and we use Golang for core microservices and Java for data services. We do use some traditional enterprise software in our back-end engineering, but this has mainly been broken down into microservices or being assessed to do so. Each one of our microservices runs on Google Kubernetes Engine(GKE), which is supported by some innovative automated pipelines developed by our award-winning DevOps/SRE team. These enable our engineers to build and deploy through the stack.
We have an opportunity for a passionate Back-End Engineer to join our growing Engineering team, where you will work alongside the business teams, project managers, business analysts and testers to extend and build out our backend services and banking support platforms.
What will your ‘typical’ day look like…. (there’s no 2 days the same in Atom):
- Responsible for developing various process solutions across business processes and systems
- Design and develop data models/structures and API contracts, data transform and algorithms
- Actively be responsbible for maintaining all associated design and document artefacts
- Ensure all developed components have the appropriate level of quality and governance (version control, documentation, unit testing)
- Responsible for resolving QA defects by working closely with the business and testing teams
- You will work with the business sponsor of the process changes, to iteratively improve the solution and hone the data outputs.
What do we need from you?
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field
- Experience working with Python, Golang, Java, YAML or similar
- A good understanding of APIs and API structures
- Exposure to an understanding of a standard project lifecycle
- The ability to understand business problems and think through technical solutions.
What we’d ideally like you to have?
- Understanding of Agile methodologies (SCRUM, Kanban etc)
- Knowledge of message queues, Kafka & Mulesoft(middleware)
- Working experience in a complex multi-vendor solution environment
- Knowledge of scalable databases such as SQL & NoSQL
- Knowledge of mobile development
- Experience with REST APIs
- Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment tooling knowledge
- Financial Services or regulated industry experience.
What you’ll get from us:
- Flexible and remote working
- Annual Share Option – performance related
- Incredibly generous company pension scheme (maximum of 13% of Atom input – candidate can put in more)
- ‘All About Me’ fund: £200 per year to spend on personal development
- 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days (rising by half a day with every year in the company)
- Private Medical Insurance for you and full family
- Health Cash Plan – expenses paid on Optical/Dental/other appointments/treatments
- Life Insurance – 4 times annual salary
- Critical illness cover – 1 x lump sum annual salary
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Continuous development – professional qualifications
- Challenging and exciting working environment.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have the legal right to work in the UK to apply for this role as Atom Bank are unable to support Visa Applications/Sponsorship