We’re Hutch Games, a mobile games developer & publisher with studios in central London, Dundee and Canada. Our mission is to build the automotive gaming experiences that people want on mobile. Our games have been played by over 300 million people, with new titles in development.
We believe in putting our people first. Here you can make games without sacrificing quality time with family and friends. We strive to ensure our people are happy and healthy.
Our teams are small and empowered, they have the independence to take on creative and technical challenges together, to work collaboratively, to make great games and have fun along the way.
We believe in; Looking after our people, small empowered teams, complete transparency, test, learn repeat, community at the core and the freedom to focus on what truly makes a difference to our players.
We’re driven by our players! Come and Join the mission!
Art Director | Art | London | Permanent
Hutch is looking for an Art Director to join the team in London and deliver visually impressive free to play gaming experiences. You will work on one of our existing titles and in the future help with a new game/games.
As an Art Director, you will act as a vision holder for a game, ensuring style and quality. For new games, your role would be to help define the art style and build the visual identity including creating visual targets, style guides and documentation.
We’re looking for someone who is keen to work in an agile and lean team, working on short sprints to develop, release and iterate on our projects. We’re keen to find someone who understands the constraints of mobile F2P and can use data and feedback to help inform decisions.
As an AD you will be responsible for managing and mentoring Artists on the team, giving feedback and working on their career development. You’ll also develop production pipelines to allow us to build assets quickly, working with outsource teams and artists to set the gold standards, create briefs and give feedback.
Working in small teams, the work can vary therefore having a good understanding of 3D and 2D art is essential, with the ability to give direction and mentor as well as work hands-on if needed, for example creating sizzle images.
We believe in small, autonomous and agile teams, making their own decisions, therefore your role will be highly impactful from day one. If you are looking for an opportunity to have a huge impact, a lack of bureaucracy and the ability to release games quickly and iterate, this is a great opportunity.
- Be the dedicated Art Director for one of our games
- Create/maintain a high-quality, AAA visual style for a F2P mobile game
- When required work on new projects, developing the visual style, tone and identity
- Express visual identity and create visual targets via; direction boards, sketches, concept material, style guides, one-sheets etc
- Create documentation for internal and external teams
- Provide clear direction and feedback for internal and external Artists such as 3D and UI
- Direct, Manage and mentor Artists. We’re looking for leaders that want to help their team grow professionally
- Contribute to brand and marketing material, including sizzle Art pieces
Help with hiring for the team as it grows, including crafting briefs, interviewing and onboarding
- Previous experience working as a Lead Artist/AD on a successful mobile title
- Prior experience Managing Artists and providing clear feedback and career development
- An understanding of F2P development principles including; Data-Driven Development, User validation and technical constraints.
- The ability to work in a Lean development environment, creating work quickly for release
- A strong understanding of a variety of Art skills with the ability to give direction such as; Graphic design, 2D, layout, type, UI
- Previous experience working on Live Op's
- A good understanding of composition
- Experience with 3D, texturing and lighting
- Be competent with the required 3D and 2D software such as; Maya, and Photoshop.
- Be familiar with Unity and the technical constraints/considerations
- Previous console experience demonstrated through meticulous attention to detail and the ability to create high-quality artwork