3D Character/Generalist Artist
We practise "Free Choice Friday" where you can skill up, learn something new or take every Friday off making every week a 4 day work week! No one at BYG is required to work more than 32 hours per week
Posted 1 week ago
Brace Yourself Games is expanding. The creators of Cadence of Hyrule, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Phantom Brigade, and Industries of Titan are now hiring a 3D artist to work on a new exciting game project (turn-based strategy PC game, Unreal Engine 5, serious low medieval fantasy setting) and be responsible for modeling and texturing characters, creatures and props for them.
- An ongoing commitment to a diverse, equitable and inclusive workspace and promoting our continual growth in these areas
- Working closely with the Art Director and Animator to produce high quality characters, creatures and props, e.g. bodies, armour, weapons, clothing, faces
- Creating full 3D models based on 2D concept art
- Creating clean game topology, UVs, bakes and textures
- Implementing game assets, including engine-material setup.
- Collaborating with other colleagues to find the best solutions to all major technical and/or creative challenges facing the art team.
- Understanding the video game production requirements related to 3D character modelling
- If bandwidth allows it, helping on environment 3D assets.
- 3+ years of production experience in game development
- Shipped at least 1 game title as a Character Artist in your career
- Understanding and skillful production of proportions and anatomy
- Understanding of a broad mix of character-related (human and non-human) disciplines such as modelling, texturing, shading, rigging, skinning and animation
- High poly sculpting
- 3D texturing software
- Photoshop expertise
- Portfolio demonstrating relevant skills--only online work submissions, please (e.g. website, blog or online album)
- Excitement for building inclusive games for diverse audiences
- Humble with a growth mindset and excellent collaboration skills
- Team player who shows initiative, organized, efficient, and independent
- Lives in British Columbia, Canada (or willing to relocate, we will sponsor a visa for the right candidate)
Nice to have:
- Unreal Engine (4/5) knowledge
- 2D skills
- Specialization in character design
- An understanding of the importance topology has on mesh deformation
- A love for visual arts in all their forms (movies, animation, paintings, sculpting, etc.)
- Experience working with mixed remote and in-person teams
Brace Yourself Games is located in downtown Vancouver, Canada. This position is open to in person work at our downtown office or remote work anywhere within BC. This is a permanent full time paid position. Rate of pay is above industry standard and includes a profit sharing plan and an outstanding benefits package. We develop games because games make us happy. If we’re not having fun doing it, what’s the point? No one at BYG is required to work more than 32 hours per week. We maintain an inclusive, supportive, fun company culture.
Free Choice Friday where you can skill up, learn something new or make something (or take every Friday off making every week a 4 day work week)! More info: https://braceyourselfgames.com/2021/09/14/free-choice-fridays/
More info on our benefits: https://braceyourselfgames.com/careers/benefits/
More info on our stance on overtime: https://braceyourselfgames.com/2021/09/29/our-stance-on-overtime/
More info on our publishing division: https://braceyourselfgames.com/2022/08/30/announcing-brace-yourself-publishing/
We’re looking for the candidate who will make BYG an even better place to work! We will respond to successful applicants with an offer to interview. Thanks very much! We look forward to hearing from you.